o n e

The train to Hogwarts was long and lonely. I sat in a carriage on my own as nobody knew who I was. New school, new life. My powers are still considered to be new, most wizards gain theirs before they turn eleven. Late bloomer is what I am according to professor Dumbledore, but I just feel like my powers have been suppressed. My parents are pureblood wizards, but they didn't want me to be part of this world. Most parents are proud of their children, not ashamed. 

Everyone on the train looked just like every other person I could know. If I had started the same time as everyone else maybe I would not feel like such an outcast. I'm basically a first year in a fifth years body. I had managed to catch up with all of the knowledge from the years that I had missed. Thankfully, Professor Snape was able to get me out of my muggle school a term before summer so I could start with my studies. 

The day grew darker and the trolly dolly walked past my carriage for the third time. By this point I was pretty hungry so I ask her what she would recommend for me to try. She tells me to have a pumpkin pastie and a chocolate frog for later if I was still feeling peckish. 

"Do you take muggle money?" I ask knowing full well that was all I had in my pocket. 

"I'm guessing you're the late bloomer?" she whispers to me. I nod back in reply because I didn't know if anyone was listening. "Of cause you can dear" she replies with a wink. "How much muggle money do you have?" she asks. 

"Five pounds" I say pulling out the coins from inside the pocket of my coat. 

The woman was old but not old enough to retire, my guess was in her late fifties. Her uniform was a white and pink stripped apron with a knee length grey dress underneath. She also wore a hat that was the same stripped pattern as the apron placed at the top of her curled ageing hair. She pulled out a long wand from her hair and waved it over the five pound coins. This changed them from the dirty old pound coins into much larger shiny gold coins. 

"That will be four gallions please" she said with a smile.

I place four of the coins into her hand as she passes me a paper bag with what I assume the pastie is in and a purple and gold box in the shape of a pentagon. As I look up to thank her she was gone.