chapter[24]

Yeosang's POV

"In other words? What do you know about your mission?"
I remembered the dream I had about Rehan and Kenji... and the times when it felt like there was an inner voice telling me what to do next. There was no doubt that I knew what my mission was... the question was how I would do it.
"As far as I know, I am supposed to help Seonghwa keeping the balance and achieve a 'neverending peace'. It is what the spirited one before me showed me."
The gate keeper listened giving his full attention to me.
"So you had something like a vision?"
"Yes, I think so. But in this vision the spirited one failed and was killed by the pheonix with a sword of ice... just like the prophecy sais." I sighed.
"So.. it will be Seonghwa that kills you if this part of the prophecy becomes truth?" Chan asked going over the words of the prophecy again.
"Yes... it'll be him." I answered in a monotone voice. Should I tell him that this wasn't the only vision I had? Should I say that I saw Seonghwa killing me after his own cousin?
No... this was not necessary nor helpful. The future wasn't set... this was only a scenario out of many that could happen so it'd only cause confusion.
And on top of that, Chan was not worth of my trust yet. The fact that he was the nicest out of all people here didn't mean he couldn't have bad intentions as a consequence.

"That means that as a condition for one clan to win you'll suffer great pain..." Chan concluded and put the scroll down for a second. I was still sitting on his sofa looking at my hands.
When did I fall so deep into this that I didn't have a choice to escape anymore? I promised to follow Seonghwa and protect him but what if it turned out that he would be the one causing me the most pain in the end?

"I'm sure if Seonghwa knew about this, he'd not choose a side... to protect you." It was obvious that Chsn tried to cheer me up and I valued his efforts but on the other hand he didn't know Seonghwa as good as I did and even I could not say what the pheonix would do.
"But we can't tell him about this." I remarked.
"It would be like making him choose between me and his family and-"
"Oh let me assure you, this involves a lot more. He's probably already torn between his mother and brother and his father and the rest of his family.
The problem is that the prophecy sais in case Seonghwa doesn't decide to join one side, let me read it out loud 'The flame dies down, the water dries out in all hearts. Both clans are destroyed.
The silence of the dead fills the air as empty eyes are directed to the sky.' The destruction and death of both clans."
"So... it is either me and one clan... or everyone.." I concluded realizing what all of this meant. How was Seonghwa even supposed to pick one option, it was simply not possible. But why did the spirits keep showing me that I have to team up with Seonghwa? Is that what peace meant? If everyone was dead in the end? What definition of peace did Rehan want to achieve?

"That is another thing I am not exactly sure about. Is this last verse really related to all of the people? Or does it only refer to already fallen ones meaning there is a possibility the others survive." Chan thought not losing his curiousity.
But my mood was very dark at the moment. I had always thought that these spirits wanted to make me do something that'd help everyone but now it turned out that I'll kill them?
"It sais the flame dies down and the water dries out... as far as I know that is exactly considered death in metaphorical language." I joked but didn't put any hint of amusement in my voice.
Chan eyed me up and down sensing that something was wrong.
I didn't even realize that he had sat down beside of me and put an arm around my shoulder.

"I think we're still missing something in all of this. There has to be an option to end this without destroying everything." The blond haired male's calm voice sounded next to my ear.
"And how... in God's name am I supposed to do something about this." I quietly asked, keeping my gaze on the floor.
"Listen, the leader will tell Seonghwa exactly what I told you except that they put full trust in the prophecy. They'll portrait you and especially the fire clan as his enemy. You have to talk to him before he turns his back on the other clan. Try to find out how he reacts to this situation and make him believe that there must be something that we are missing."
"And what if he doesn't want to talk to me?" I already expected the worst.
"We'll have to give him time and eventually we'll have proof or more hints by then. I'm bound to the water clan and in case there is a battle I'll fight for my family and friends so you're the only one in between the fronts. Oh... and try to reach out to the other clan if your life is in danger here." Chan added stressing his last sentence in a manner of importance.
"What am I supposed to do there? They'll probably use me as a hostage to get Seonghwa back... which probably wouldn't work."
"Stay optimistic, Yeosang." Chan gently punched my shoulder.
"Like I said before, we are missing the last verse of the prophecy and the fire clan might have it. It would be good to know what is standing there. And regardless of that... I need someone to talk to the fire clan gate keeper. I know she'll listen if you tell her that the prophecy might lead to wrong assumptions. Together with her we can get more time." He was sticking to his plan and the hope of solving this mystery. Of course I hadn't given up yet... I wouldn't break the promise I made. And if it turned out that I had to die, I would fade away with the knowledge that Seonghwa was alive...

"Alright, I'll give my best to somehow make it through alive." I slowly said while getting up.
In silence I turned around to the curly haired gate keeper.
"Thank you." I spoke. "Thank you for respecting me as person rather than a possesed human."
A smile spread on Chan's face as he nodded his head.
"Everyone should be treated with the same respect until there is a reason that they don't deserve it anymore." he answered and opened the small door for me.

But just as I was about to go I was suddenly pulled back making me stumble and almost trip.
"What the hell?" I groaned pushing my self up when I noticed Chan's suddenly changed expression when he ran to his desk and activated the screens.
"Don't go out of this room for now. There are soldiers running through the hallways."
"How?" I was left in confusion when I stood next to Chan watching closely what was happening on the screen. It didn't take me a lot of time to realize what place this camera was showing. It was at the shore of the lake...

Author's POV

Yunho was confidently stepping infront of the surveillence camera. He knew that the hideout of the water clan was here somewhere and this place was observed 24/7.
Since Seonghwa had been gone his father had called out to the fire clans all over the world, messaging them to come and fight in this war that'll decide their future.
And to Yunho's surprise almost every single family actually arrived.

"We are not here to fight." the blue haired boy loudly stated supported by the six men and women that were behind him. Like Yunho said they didn't intend to fight, but in case things would get out of hand they couldn't risk anything.

"Let me speak to Park Seonghwa. He is my cousin." Yunho added and patiently waited for any kind of response... but there was nothing but the wind blowing through the trees.
'Of course they won't answer...' Yunho hissed in thoughts.
'The water clan has always been playing dirty.'
But the boy's expectations were torn apart all of a sudden when at least 20 soldiers suddenly shot out of the water surface. The attack happened too fast for Yunho to react.

Uncountable water and ice bullets were shot at his men and Yunho barrely managed to protect himself and the two people behind him with a shield of electricity.
One after another the members of the fire clan collapsed on the ground lifelessly not even given the chance to defend themselves.

Yunho was left in a state of shock when every one around him was killed mercylessly
'They could have just ignored us...' he didn't get the situation playing in front of his eyes.
'But they are blindly murdering.'
Trying to catch his breath Yunho stumbled back.
"Yunho, we need to leave!"
A woman caught him before he'd fall and pulled him away from the chaos but he ripped his arm out of her grip and shot bolts at one of the soldiers.
"They have to pay for this!!" He growled and took down the second soldier.
"Yunho pl-" the woman was never able to finish her sentence when a bullet hit her face from the side and she fell.
"N- no" the boy stuttered and caught her body before it could hit the ground.

In panic he looked around himself... everyone was dead... there was no one he could protect anymore and because of his stubborness this woman's life was taken too. This was a cruel assassination.
He knew he had to leave... even though he felt ashamed and humiliated, he had to leave his commerades behind.

It really pained Yunho and his hate for this clan grew even more. Who knew what they were doing to Seonghwa in there.
This was war... nobody could be trusted.
Red blood was covering the cold as dead eyes were directed to the endless grey sky.
_______________________________________

A quick question out of personal interest ^^ ... what is your reason for reading this story? Is there anything you wish to happen in this story?