Chapter Twenty-Six

My stomach dropped. This was the first time I heard anything about this story, or about this "Yuzuki" girl. Kaito.. Was scared. He was fearful of this same scenario repeating again with us. "When did this happen..?"

Hisa breathed in deeply and loudly, enough for me to hear how shaky his breathing got from remincensing these memories. "Two years ago."

My eyes widen with astonishment. "Two years ago? Just a year before him and I met." I murmered.

"Exactly. You're a good kid and nothing like Yazuki was, but I don't think Kaito should've approached this so soon. He kept repeating how he was fine and was ready to move on, and maybe he had moved on when it came to yazuki, but not with the wounds it left him." He turns around, placing the bags of groceries in my cold and pale hands. "I won't obligate you to fix this, because Kaito does have faults in this, but please talk to him. Whatever you saw that day isn't the real Kaito and you know that better than any of us."

Every single word Hisa said stuck with me. I felt them crawl into the depths of my soul and it ached. Kaito had been aching and I hadn't realized, I was so selfish to worry about myself and not take a second to look at Kaito and what was happening within him. My chest throbbed from guilt, this was my fault too. I pushed him into this because of how self absorbed I had been. I didn't listen to what he thought or felt. I never had even bothered to ask of his past. He wasn't egocentric, he was far from it. He kept quiet for my own sake and he winded up being the one paying the price for me. "I need to go, I have to fix this."

—- ♡ —-

The majority of the items I had bought were able to withstand being in the car before I got home, I had a stop to make. I quickly drove down the streets of the neighborhood Kaito lived in until I found the house that had a plaque with the last name "Haru" at the entrance. I didn't put much thought into what i was doing, it was just like an instinct. I pounded the door quickly and sat there impatiently awaiting for someone to answer.

But no one did. I knocked on the door repeatedly and yet no one would open the door. No one was answering. My body started hyperventilating and I felt my palms grow sweaty, I resorted to yelling out Kaito's name. I yelled out the name I loved hearing and saying so many times until my voice became raspy and I was out of breath. Rather than my mind thinking of logical reasons he or anyone else was picking up the door, it went straight for the worst. I started begging for someone to open this door up internally. The pounding became harder and louder, to the point of punching the wooden door, I hadn't even realized how bloody my knuckles were starting to get. And I had not an ounce of care for them. "Please.. Don't leave me too."