Chapter Sixteen | Needs

THE HOUSE OF NAKAHARA IS regarded highly in the Southern Kingdom of Terra. Even back then, the noble house kept a strong tie to the royal family. It continued as of now.

The current King of Terra remained closely acquainted with the House of Nakahara hence preserving the good status of the noble house.

Lady Erika saw how much respect the people of the South has for her family. But even though they are regarded highly in their Kingdom, to the other Kingdoms, they were not much. Because after all, they are from the South.

Years of war between Ignis and Terra in the past had tarnished the reputation of the Southern people. And the Kingdom of Terra's defeat to Ignis didn't help.

When the war between the two Kingdoms ended, the Southern Kingdom did its best to glorify their reputation. They agreed with the peace treaty, they let Ignis take control of their Kingdom, and they behaved nicely. Their current King believed that it's time to end the bloodshed and focus on reforming the Kingdom.

But no. Even now, the other Kingdoms still choose to look on their past and define them with it.

So when Lady Erika was handpicked by the King of Ignis-- atleast that's what she was told-- she was very ecstatic. For the King of Ignis to choose a mistress from the Southern Kingdom is something.

Her parents and the other nobles think it'll be a way to show the other Kingdoms that not all Southern people are savages. And it'll be a good way to further strengthen the newfound relationship between the two Kingdoms.

And so, Lady Erika is determined to do that. She is determined to do everything to please the King. So when King Bakugou rejected her and told her he didn't ask for a mistress, Lady Erika was shocked and scared this might not work. But, she's glad she was still permitted to stay in Ignis even with the King's threat of sending her back.

Lady Erika held on tight to that single hope. But she knew it won't be awhile before the others will notice that the King is not very interested in her and she will be sent back.

She won't allow that.

So she decided to find ways to secure her place in the court of Bakugou Katsuki.

Now, back at her home Lady Erika was sometimes called an 'airhead'. But that doesn't mean she did not notice the tension between the King and his wife. It is very much clear to her that they are a difficult match. And she caught wind about the source of the King's frustration from one of the ladies, the reason why King Bakugou called for a mistress is because of his wife. Because she denied him of pleasure.

Lady Erika found her card to get on the King's good side.

"Good morning, Your Majesty." Lady Erika greeted the King as soon as she entered the private dining room.

She look at the empty chair beside him and on the table is an empty plate. The ladies were right, his wife even refused to dine with him.

"Huh?..." He muttered under his breath.

"It is a pleasant day, isn't it Your Majesty?" She quipped cheerfully sat on the empty chair beside him.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Having breakfast with you of course! Food is more delicious with a company, Your Majesty."

He clicked his tongue, "I mean what are you still doing here? I thought I told you to go home."

Lady Erika stilled for a moment. She then blinked and smiled. "Well, just like Sir Kirishima said, it would be too inconvenient for me to go back now."