Chapter XXI

Always our daughter

Y/n's pov

All this news about Maria and her army marching on us to destroy our lives had distracted me drastically from my normal life.I didn't realise that it was my birthday until Alice asked me yesterday when my birthday was.She gasped and got up from her seat saying,"Your birthday is day after tomorrow!!".I was shocked how one year had already gone by and that I'll be 18 tomorrow."Oh my God,Is your birthday dress ready?"Alice asked and took my hands in hers."Umm,no actually... with everything going on it just slipped my mind..."I say,still wondering how I forgot."Hey,Can I pick out a dress for you?if that's okay?"she asks."Of course, it's okay! I'd love that!"I say, finally feeling excited about my birthday.Alice literally dragged me out of the house,yelling,"We're just going shopping, we'll be back soon!".She beckoned me into her car and we were already at the mall.We went to the clothes section were different dresses were present.Alice was checking each one out in a fraction of a second..,"Not this..too shiny...No...No..."she said.Until she gasped finding the right one.I looked at her selection and smiled.I actually liked it.

I looked at the front and the back

I looked at the front and the back.I checked the price tag and raised my eyebrows."Don't worry,consider it one of my gifts.."she said from behind me."Ummm-"I said not wanting to buy it for me."Y/n, please"she said with puppy-eyes.I said,"...Alright"with a sigh.She bought it and soon we were out of the mall.She even ran off to a store leaving me alone.And returned what felt like hours later.."What were you doing?I ask her ..."That's a surprise for your birthday!"she says and we make our way to the car.We reached the Cullen house and I knew it was getting late."Alice!What if Maria arrives before my birthday?!I definitely don't want uninvited guests!"I say ,with worried expression."Don't worry, I don't think she'll be here that soon.. Actually, I saw that her army will arrive when the ground is damp from the first rain...So, I am busy checking weather reports everyday and I don't think it's going to rain for almost a week..."she said holding my shoulders with a smile.I returned a weak smile,"I think it's getting late...I should probably head home"I say and turn to reach my home.I see my mom preparing dinner in the kitchen when I enter my home."Hey,sweetie!"she says."Hey,mom!"I say."What's that?"she asked gesturing to the shopping bag in my hand."Actually,Alice bought me a dress...for my birthday.."I say.She turns to me and looks at me saying,"Oh god, your birthday's day after tomorrow...!How could I forget?!"she says, looking at me sadly."Mom, it's okay, you know with everything going on... It's okay to forget... because I forgot too..."I say and she approaches me and hugs me."Oh lord,my daughter's going to be all grown up tomorrow!"she says tears filling her eyes and with a weak smile on her lips."Yes,but I am still your little girl, Mom.."I say and hug her, letting the tears stream down my face."You always will be our daughter,no matter what.."she says, smiling through tears.I see dad getting in through the front door and mom calls for him to join us,"Honey,come here!"."Is something wrong,girls?"he approaches as he asks us, looking at our teary eyes."Our little girl's gonna be 18 after a day..."my mom tells my dad."Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie, I forgot....Shall we go shopping?"he asks looking at me."Dad,it's alright... even I forgot about it..., you know with everything going on....And Alice bought me a dress.."I say."Wow.... that's really nice of them..."he says.Soon, we were at the dinner table, eating dinner."Dad, I want to ask you something..."I say."What is it, sweetie?"he said still eating."You know... I'm a wolf and well... Jasper's a vampire..."I say nervously.And both of my parents were looking at me."Well...I don't think I want to be a vampire...I just want to have a human life with him.... And, I'm sure he'll understand that...."I say.My dad smiles at me,like he was proud of me."Oh honey, I'm so happy for you both..."my mom says."So,did you tell him about this?"my dad asked."No dad,but I am thinking of telling him soon..You know with everything going on...I don't want to push this subject on him..."I say."I'm proud of you,y/n.."my dad said.I smiled at him.

A little while later,

I was in my bedroom, ready to go to bed when I received a notification.It was Nick wishing me a happy birthday a day before my birthday.He sent a photo of us together before he left for college.I couldn't put into words how much I missed him the first few months he left...I replied to his text saying,"Thank you.."And later wrote another text saying,"But,why do you always wish me a day before my birthday?". Suddenly,I hear a creak near the window and breathe a sigh of relief when I realise that it was just Jasper."Hey,there.."he said in his southern accent and approached me."Hi"I say."You probably know by now,that day after tomorrow is my birthday.."I say."Alice was talking about it, all day long, and we all went and bought gifts for you..."He said before continuing,"even I bought you something...but,for me you will always be the greatest gift in my life... Happy Birthday,love"he said and reached out to touch my cheek, gazing deep into my eyes.I leaned into his cold touch.We kissed for a few moments, like our first time.I let out a little yawn and Jasper said,"Time to get you to sleep, sleeping beauty..".And,we drifted off to sleep.