12. Muggle Y/N

There are no spoilers since this is an AU set in the modern day and set in a completely different time line where Hogwarts doesn't even exist.

This is an AU where Y/N goes to the local secondary school and his next door neighbour, Hermione, goes to a fancy boarding school. Y/N has always liked Hermione but she has always been infatuated with Ronald Weasley, a rich preppy kid from her school. He dislikes Y/N greatly as he thinks Y/N is inferior to him because Y/N isn't as rich or privileged enough to go to a boarding school. Enjoy!

Y/N's POV

Hermione Granger. I loved that girl so much, ever since we met as kids, but she was too infatuated with that stupid Ronald Weasley boy from her school. I wasn't as smart as her to be awarded a scholarship nor was I as rich as Ronald to be able to buy my place at that school.

My eyes lit up when I heard Hermione's voice come from the car that had just pulled up in the driveway next to mine. Hermione was back for the holidays!

Rushing downstairs I said hi to my older brother Issac who was on the Playstation playing the new Call of Duty. I asked him where our parents were and I found out that they were outside, catching up with Hermione and her parents. Our parents were school friends and they decided to stay close to each other even after when they graduated.

Walking out the house, I walked over to where my parents were standing, greeted Hermione's parents before turning to Hermione.

"Hey 'Mione!" I smiled, using the nickname that I had called her since we were young. "How's school?"

She smiled brightly at me. "It's good! Ronald's invited me over to his holiday house this holiday so they'll be picking me up in a couple days."

I grimaced slightly but still managed to smile at her. "That's great! Hopefully we can still catch up though!"

She nodded. "Of course! I'll meet you by the tree in an hour?"

I nodded. The tree was our secret spot, it was a large oak tree where we could climb up and sit together near the top of the tree.

"Make sure you two are back for dinner though," my father told us, "Wendell and Monica have been kind enough to invite us over for dinner."

I nodded. "Got it dad!"

I rushed back inside and tried to pass the time by playing a couple games of FIFA with Issac and when an hour had almost passed, I started walking towards the tree.

I still went there, even whilst Hermione was off at school, but I never brought anyone there. It was our secret spot. Climbing up, I sat on the branch and started staring out into the distance, waiting for Hermione to arrive.

"Hey! Y/N!" Hermione called up to me before climbing up to join me. There wasn't much space on the branch so usually Hermione would sit in front of me, between my legs and place her head on my chest, my arms would always be wrapped around her.

I so desperately wanted to tell her about how I felt, confessed that I had loved her since we were children, but stupid Ronald was in the way.

"So how's life Y/N?" Hermione asked me.

I shrugged. "Just the usual, my grades are average at school, nowhere near as good as yours thought. I'm also playing pretty well on the football team, Coach said he might even make me captain soon."

"I'm so proud of you!" Hermione beamed at me. Academics had always been her thing and athletics was mine.

"So how's your fancy school? Are you still struggling to fit in?" I asked, I knew Hermione had trouble fitting in at first.

Hermione shook her head. "It's really good, I made friends with Ronald and Harry and then there are so many other cool people such as Ronald's little sister Ginerva, but we call her Ginny because she doesn't like her full name. The teachers are really good, the food is really good, it's just a dream!"

"Wow, don't make me jealous." I chuckled.

"I wish you could've come with." Hermione said sadly.

"Oh well," I shrugged, "I'm not as smart as you, or as rich as the Weasleys, I can't even get a sports scholarship because the only sport they play there is lacrosse!"

Who even plays lacrosse? Well, apart from the rich preppy kids like Ronald and his family.

"I still miss you a lot." Hermione said, looking up at me.

The moment was right, this was it. I was going to tell her how I felt.

"Hermione, I need to tell you something-"

I was cut off by Hermione's ringtone. She pulled out her phone and answered the call.

"Hey Ronald! What's up?" Hermione spoke into her phone.

Jealousy was coursing through me, of course stupid Ronald had to ruin the moment, even though he wasn't actually here.

"Oh, that's fine! I'll be ready for tomorrow!"

And then Hermione hung up.

"What did he want?" I asked, trying my best not to sound jealous.

"Oh he said that he's coming to pick me up tomorrow since he's leaving earlier." Hermione explained.

"Oh..." I said, trailing off.

"What did you want to say?" Hermione asked me.

I gulped. "Why can't you stay here? With me? Why'd you have to go? Please don't go Hermione."

She looked at me sadly. "I'm sorry Y/N..."