VII

"In the beginning, the tribe settled in this very harbors, and became skilled ship builders and fishermen. But their tribe was and still is small, and, as it is still is, their harbor was rich in fish. In their time, there were others, who in turn, who coveted our land, and we were too small to hold it. A very much larger tribe moved against us, and, we took to our plentiful ships in harbor to escape them." Billy said and finally, it was clear that Juliana's eyes could not stay on their hands forever as she was looking up again, watching Billy.

"Kaheleha was not the first spirit warrior, but we do not remember the stories that came before his. We do not remember who was the first, to be the one to discover this power, or how it had been used before this crisis. He, Kaheleha was as we all know it, a first great Spirit Chief in our history. In this emergency, Kaheleha used the magics to defend our land. He and all of good warriors left the ship not their bodies, but their spirits."

"Their women," Billy cuts another glance over to his daughter, who said nothing in response, as she released Paul's hand, in order to clench her own hand tightly into a fist, resting it onto her leg. "Their women, watched over their bodies, and the waves, and the men they took their spirits back to our harbor. They could not, physically touch the enemy tribe, but they had at their disposal, many other ways. Their stories tell us that they could blow the fiercest of winds into the camps of the enemies; they could together all make a great screaming in the wind that the tribe used to terrify their foes. Stories, they also tell us that the animals could see the spirit warrior, and understand them; the animal would by all of their instincts, do their bidding."

"Kaheleha took his spirit army of his warriors, and wreaked havoc on their intruders. This invading tribe, had big packs of big thick-furred dogs that the enemy tribe used to pull their sleds in the frozen north. The spirit warriors a bunch of them, turns the dogs, against their masters as then, they all brought a mighty infestation of bats up, from a cliff caverns. They used the screaming wind to aid the dogs in confusin' their enemies men, the dogs and bats won."

"The survivors scattered, calling our harbor a cursed place. The dogs, they ran wild when the spirit warriors had releases them. The Quileutes returned to their bodies and their wives, quite a fair bit victorious."

"The other nearby tribes, the Hohs and the Makahs, they made treaties with the Quileutes. They wanted, in their minds, nothing to do, with our tribe's magic. We lived in peace with them. When, an enemy came against us, the spirit warriors would drive the intruders away. Generations passed. It was then that then came the last great Spirit Chief, Taha Aki,. He was known, for his wisdom, and for bein' a man of peace. The people lived well, and very content in his care."

"But... there was just one man in our tribe, Utlapa, who was not content in the tribe's standings."

A low hiss ran around the fire. Juliana looks around at the pack, sensing, that it came from all around all of them, at the moment, and, not just one person, as Bella was probably guessin' now, as it was her custom to guess and guess a lot of wrong answers, before reaching the right conclusion... eventually, it's a thing that is quite literally bound to be a thing to happen.