XIII

Paul was still racing around trying to find Julianna, even hours after the big legends bonfire had ended.

"Any luck, Sam? I can't find her anywhere."

"Nothing on our end. Jared is coming to meet up with you with Leah. Jacob is staying with me."

"Why do we get Leah?"

"Because you also get Embry. Quil stays with me and Jacob. Now, stop questioning it and keep looking. It seems unlikely that she would leave the mountains entirely, but we can't know for sure until we look."

Paul grumbled under his breath as Jared loped into the area with Embry and Leah behind him.

"Any clues on where she could have gone?" Jared asked.

"Dude, if I knew anything, I would have told you guys already, I swear it." Paul responded sharply.

"I can check First Beach for her. I mean she does usually like to go for a run when she's upset, doesn't she, Paul?" Embry asked gently.

"Embry, you are a genius. You go and check First Beach. Leah, you go and check by the river. Jared, you and I go to check the mountains."

"You got it boss." Jared's mouth was twists in a wolfish grin as Paul growls a little.

"Sorry, dude I forgot for a minute there." Paul apologized, as they all ran off on their assignments quick.

Paul and Jared ran off toward the mountains and Paul heard a sound that tore at his soul.

"Guys, get back here now!" Sam's orders were unable to be disobeyed by anyone except for Julianna in the pack, and no one would have even dared to disobey the way that his voice was tearing apart with an uncontrollable rage.

The wolf pack raced back towards Emily's place, as Sam came out of the woods in his human form, carrying in his arms, a small body. Julianna was screaming at the sight of the body and Emily was trying to comfort the wolf who looked like she was dying.

Sam looked at Julianna, who was letting out strangled, howling sobs and Paul was the first to reach their safe house, and they all were happy to have Julianna back with them, but the devastating consequences were much worse.

Sam put the small body down and Julianna ran over to it, as Paul runs forward with Jared, as they were all recognizing the small child who lay in the grass unmoving.

"Jessica." Jared whispered, his lips barely moving, as Julianna was on the ground and holding the small body of her sister in her arms. Paul shuddered and he crouches next to Julianna, who wasn't sayin' anything, just letting out, strangled sobbing sounds.

Jacob and Leah returned with Quil and Embry, who ran toward the three wolves in the center, until Sam looked at them and they backed up.