Chapter 31

"The 107th Regional Trial Court of Quezon City is now in session. Honorable Judge Alejandro Santillan presiding."

The judge entered the courtroom as we stood to give respect. Huling tumayo si Daisy na katabi ni Achilles sa dulo dahil inayos nito ang dala naming mga papeles.

"Puwede na kayong umupo. Is the prosecution ready?"

I stood up. "Yes, Your Honor." Umupo rin ako agad.

Judge Santillian looked at the other side of the court. "Defense?"

The attorney from the other firm stood up and even had the courage to glance at me. "Yes, Your Honor."

Tumango si Judge bago muling nagsalita. "Private prosecution, you may start with the opening statement."

I stood up and faced the judge. He seemed attentive when I walked to the middle of the courtroom. "Ladies and gentlemen of the court.." I looked at the benches for the public, glanced at the accused and faced the judge again.

"My name is Lennon Irvin de Castro with my co-counsels Jiro Achilles Lichuaco and Daisy Geronimo."

I am not confident even with all the investigations that the three of us have done, but I have to show them that I am.

"Your honor, this is a case of molestation which was made possible due to illegal intake of drugs. The reason why we are here today, face to face, is because Allura Isabel Lacsamana experienced physical abuse and was raped by a Fausto Allegre, the accused, at the sidewalk near the hospital where the victim works at. We will prove that Fausto Allegre is guilty, that is why we ask for a verdict of guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Thank you." I closed my eyes upon realizing what I just said.

I may seem resilient and tough, but I'm already shattered deep inside.

Umupo na ako at sinenyasan ako ng pinsan na maayos ang ginawa ko pero wala akong oras para lingunin siya. I have to stay focused against all odds. I want to give Lura the justice that she may not deserve, but needs.

Not being political about this case and involving my personal emotions is unfavorable to me. And whatever happens, I have to hide it. I have to hide what I feel.

That may seem to be a simple thing to do, but it's demanding for my case.

"Would the defense like to give their opening now?"

The defense then stood up when he was called. "Yes, Your Honor. I am Rafael Narciso. Together with my co-counsel, we are representing the accused, Fausto Cassimir Allegre."

"The case filed against us will be proved nothing but fictitious. Fausto Cassimir Allegre, a businessman who originated from Mexico and owns a winery and gold mine is wrongly accused of the claim that has been stated by the prosecution, Your Honor. He has a wife and has been married for four years. The union did not result in a child, but they remained content. The data that will be given to this court will prove that my client is not guilty. We have evidence that will demonstrate the truth behind their accusations."

Wala sa sariling napa-irap ako. I clenched my jaw upon hearing those words. Lumingon na lamang ako sa aking gilid para itago ang galit na nararamdaman.

"Calm down.." Achilles whispered.

Nagpakawala ako ng malalim na buntong hininga. I looked in front of me instead. Fausto kept on glancing at me, but he didn't show remorse. He pushed his hair back with his hands that were tied together with handcuffs. I looked at him, trying to read Fausto's gestures, but I didn't have a clue about his intentions.

Ang tapang niya para hindi mag pledge ng guilty noong pre-trial. Does he even have a conscience?

Tumayo ako. "Your Honor, I will show a visual aid showing the CCTV record when the incident happened." Inabot sa akin ni Daisy ang USB drive at iyon ang binigay ko sa clerk. Naghintay kami ng ilang minuto bago nag appear sa screen ang tinutukoy ko.