Chapter 8

When they had parted ways in front of the main house, instead of taking the path to Hometree, she went left at the fork to Virginia's cabin. It was larger than the treehouse, though she supposed that was easier with it sitting firmly on the ground. It was shaped like a greenhouse with its arched ceiling, all glass encasing a mass of colorful flowers. The illusion held until you came up to it and saw that rather than using clear glass, Virginia charmed all the walls to look like mirrors from the outside. Only it didn't reflect the Texas Hill Country. Today it was showing clear skies over rolling hills of wildflowers native to the Pacific Northwest. Is that where you are? But Marianne knew the images were like recordings, depicting wildflowers from different parts of the world. She also knew that Virginia had safety measures in place to ward off intruders, much like Hometree, and once again restrained the urge to try her hand at disarming them.

"Haven't you had enough of me for today?" asked Marianne before she turned back to head for Hometree.

A few steps up the path stood Lily. "When you went left, I thought maybe--"

"She's not here."

Lily nodded and crouched to pet Huckleberry who must have followed her from the house. "Do you come here a lot?"

"Not really." In truth, Marianne had avoided it after Virginia's sudden departure, even keeping the shades drawn on the window that faced it in her own home. She walked past Lily who followed.

"What's it like inside?" inquired the girl.

"The cabin?"

"Yeah, dummy."

Marianne peered at her quizzically. "You've never been inside?"

"Why would I ask you if I've been inside?"

"How have you never been in it? She built it when you were like--"

"Never mind," groaned Lily. "Forget I asked."

Marianne let out a small sigh, "When you're inside, all the panels look like clear glass so it's like you really are in a greenhouse. Except there are no flowers because--"

"Aunt Vee's a serial plant murderer," supplied Lily.

She laughed at that, "Right. Which is so crazy to me because her earth magic is out of this world, I mean look at Hometree. How can she not keep a potted plant alive? I offered to help her last time but she just says plants--"

"Belong outside," said Lily as though she were imitating the queen. "That's what she says about animals," she added before switching to a whisper, "and Huckleberry too." She scooped him up and nuzzled his little face with hers. "It's why she doesn't have a familiar."

"She doesn't have a familiar because animals that carry out a witch's bidding aren't real."

"False. Huckleberry does loads of my bidding. Don't you boy? You love doing my bidding," she said in a sickeningly sweet tone as she scratched his chin.

Marianne smiled. "Like what?"

"Like..." she set him down, "sit." The little hog faced thing obliged.

"Very impressive. If I ever have a spell that requires a dog to sit, I know just who to come to."

"Okay, fine, what do you call them?" Lily bounded up until she was under the tree's shade and pointed up. There were a few caws as Marianne joined her under the tree. "Crows are like the witchiest animal ever. Why not just get a hamster or something if you don't believe in familiars?"

"They don't do any tricks. They're not pets."

"They bring you things," she argued.

"Because I feed them. It's the same as when Huckleberry brought you that dead bird."