Chapter 12

Marianne clutched the cloth napkin on her lap between her fists under the table. She had never been to a restaurant this nice or really in any restaurant that didn't have pictures on the menu or a board behind a cashier to choose from. Virginia had suggested a celebratory dinner for her and Ms. Darcy when she got the news of Marianne's case being dismissed.

The place seemed expensive, like Virginia, who had no doubt chosen it for herself or rather her resort wear monochromatic camel-colored ensemble. Her own black shirt-dress looked nice when she had seen herself in the mirror earlier but in the place she sat now, it felt shabby and faded. Who would want to bring a grubby little urchin here? Marianne tried to swallow down the lump in her throat ineffectively. She wondered how she would even coax herself to swallow any food.

Virginia had sent an uber to collect her at the group home, to the envy of the other girls who would surely attempt to make her pay for this meal in some way or other when she got back.

Talking to Virginia was much easier during their lessons when Marianne merely had to answer questions and make up the rest of the time with spell work, but that had been on Marianne's turf. It seemed very different sitting across from her in a place meant for her set. She busied herself rereading the menu in false indecision while waiting impatiently for Ms. Darcy.

"Nice place," came the familiar voice from behind her, and Marianne's relief was immense.

"St. Jane!" Virginia's face lit at her appearance and she got up to give her a brief but comfortable-looking hug. "Come, sit amongst your devoted worshippers."

"Still calling me that after all these years," said Jane, taking a seat.

"Old habits die hard." Virginia gave her a knowing close-mouthed smile.

"Why do you call her that?" Virginia looked momentarily stunned to hear her speak and Marianne realized she hadn't said much of anything when they were alone.

"We went to St. Joan's together," Virginia began. "We met when we were freshmen."

"But Vee was a little younger than the rest of us."

Marianne wasn't sure if it was the candlelight or the memories, but both women glowed as they recounted their school days, trailing lingering glances and it dawned on her what was just said.

"Wait, St. Joan's?" It was the name of the only school for witches in the Austin area. Probably Texas for that matter. She and Maia had dreamed of going there. Maia. She shook off the memories. "Are you a witch, Jane?"

Virginia gasped in mock affront. "You didn't tell her?"

"It's not like I lied, it just didn't seem necessary. Magic wasn't going to win this case." Jane shrugged and asked their waiter for a glass of wine.

Magic had not won the case. Neither had Jane or Marianne, really. What did it, in the end, was that the prosecution now wanted as little to do with the matter of her foster family as possible.

Marianne had moved into the Sloan house that summer, before starting the school year. Mrs. Sloan, a portly woman in her early 40's, had been welcoming enough as she showed her around the house, which was modest but meticulously tidy.

"Now, there are a few house rules," Mrs. Sloan said in a pleasant tone. "We all do our part to make sure the house is clean so rule number one, there will be chores you're responsible for." She looked at Marianne who nodded in agreement. "Good. Rule number two, home for dinner at seven every day, no exceptions. Outings before or after that time are subject to my approval. Understood? I don't want any excuses."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And of course, this last one may go without saying but no magic in the house. There isn't anything in here that can't be managed without taking any shortcuts. Are we clear?"