Lady Evangeline-10

The next morning I woke up to the sound of shattering glass. I got up, rubbed my eyes, and ran over to see what had broke. My long red hair stuck to my face, and I saw the tea kettle broken into pieces on the tiled kitchen floor with a pool of water surrounding it. I helped Abigail pick up the pieces, and throw them away in the trash bin. Lady Evangeline looked quite shaken. She won't be getting her tea anytime soon. Abigail looked at my appearance disapprovingly, and gave me the cue that said to freshen up.

After I changed into the outfit that was laying on the chair, I (unsuccessfully) tried to untangle my hair. It takes a really long time to comb it through, and I don't have enough patience to do it. After I looked decent enough, I went back into the kitchen were I found everyone having breakfast. Instead of Jordan chattering away there sat Lady Evangeline telling a tale unworthy of being told. I ignored Loretta's cold stare, and sat down in the seat near me. "And he said that he would marry me, but of course I couldn't. There isn't enough time to do such things with this type of life."  I put some jam on a piece of toast, and tried to listen to their conversation. "Well of course! Duty always comes before happiness!" Agreed Loretta enthusiastically. Loretta is actually being nice to her! I think she hopes only to gain some sort of friendship or alliance, it may have something to do with the dresses..but why would that matter?..Did Loretta want to go to the ball? 

I only had a few seconds to respond when Lady Evangeline turned the topic on to me. "So does she speak?" Abigail tilted her head, "Who?"  "Why your servant of course!" Lady replied. "Oh. Her. She isn't our servant. She's just a bit of a sour patch, and lacks communication skills." Loretta butted in, with a smug tone. I sighed. "She has a name. I am known as Violett, its a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Lady Evangeline." I titled my head towards her, and stared into her brown eyes. Lady Evangeline seemed somewhat uncomfortable with me looking into her eyes, so I looked back down to my plate, and ate my toast.

Jordan played with his breakfast, clearly upset that he couldn't share his observations on plant life. I felt sad for the boy, so after breakfast I asked him to explain whatever he couldn't get out during breakfast. I walked him over to wear I would sleep, and he spread out different plants on the sheets.  Jordan explained to me which ones cured which illness, and how to make various types of medicine. "Aren't there plants that are used to make dye? I believe that I heard that somewhere.." Jordan nodded. "Yes, but most of them are hard to find, because they're really rare around this area. You know, someday I plan to record every plant ever to be discovered." I blinked. "Even in the Human World?" He shrugged. "If I have enough time perhaps, and if the Court and Council will allow me to pass the portal." I brushed away a strand of hair, and scratched my chin. "Well why wouldn't they allow you?" Jordan fixed his own grey hair, and shrugged. "The price to make one, and pass through is really high. They rarely let anyone through just so they continue to gain knowledge." I wrinkled my forehead in confusion. "How do you know all of this..?" Jordan shrugged again. "You just have to listen at the right moments." I nodded back in response.

"Are you going to try and please our visitor, or play with a child the rest of your life?" Snorted Loretta as she walked through the door. I flinched. "What I do isn't your concern, Loretta. If you would spend more time with Jordan, you would notice that his brain capacity is yours cubed. I would appreciate it if you would call him by his chosen name, instead of considering him of something that is so little of importance that a name shouldn't be mentioned." 

Loretta narrowed her eyes. "Aren't you just lucky that we're not training right now,--" I cut her off. "Hello Lady Evangeline, is there anything I could assist you with?" Lady Evangeline lingered in the hallway, and looked into my eyes. She rose an eyebrow, "Well..yes actually. The curtain in this bedroom is slightly crooked, if you wouldn't mind straightening it for me?" I got up, and followed Lady Evangeline to where she pointed at.