Chapter 21

Rory was not ready to head home. She lingered in the front yard unsure of her next move before slipping back into her car and taking the ride to Eric’s place. Even though they usually spent most of their time at Jeffrey’s, she and Eric had spent many nights in his apartment. Parking in her usual spot, she smiled nostalgically and gazed up at the front door. “You stupid shit.” She grumbled, climbing out of her car, and picking his key out from the others Rory unlocked his door.

The apartment was the same as the last time she had been there. It was messy, but livable, with only the bare necessities around. It reminded her of who he used to be and, much to her surprise, being there made Rory miss him. Her phone rang just as she settled on the couch, it was Happy but it felt wrong to speak to him in Eric's home. She let it ring, rather than hit ignore, and curled her feet up under her, falling sleep almost instantly.

--

When Rory's voicemail picked up Happy felt himself begin to worry. She was certainly capable, he knew that, but it didn't make the feeling go away.

“Hey, it's me. Call me back, little girl.”

Placing his phone right on the bar happy continued to drink with the others. While his concern didn't ruin the fun he was having it certainly occupied a small portion of his mind the entire time.

--

Rory woke up to Johnny and Jeffrey discussing something passionately in hushed tones. She blinked a few times and stretched before meekly entering the kitchen.

“Hey, sorry I came here. I was just thinking.”

“Always did take a lot out of you.” Jeffrey remarked pushing a chair out with his foot and offering her the whisky they were sharing. “Have a seat.” He said as she took a long gulp.

“Johnny told you?” Jeffrey nodded in response. “I'm sorry.”

“I'm sorry it came down to that. I didn't want to think how far gone he was.” They passed the bottle between them again. “First Emmett then you, we all know how Eric was about his family, blood or not.”

Nodding, Rory reached for the bottle for a third time but Johnny pulled it back. “Take it easy. You always were a lightweight.”

“Look, I know you're mad I left and yeah, my choice in men isn't exactly easing your minds but I thought I had to. Happy wasn't really a factor when I made the decision but if I knew this is how it would have ended up, I would never have gone with him.”

Johnny pursed his lips and waited for Jeffrey to speak, he'd be able to keep calm in this situation. Her words, her meaningless apology and explanation, infuriated him. “Do you know who these men are?” Jeffrey asked, soft and with little judgment.

“I don't know them personally that well but they've always been nice to me.” She shrugged. “Happy, I know him as well anyone can probably. He's quiet, weird, but I'm digging through it.”

Johnny shook his head already annoyed by her blasé attitude and lack of concern for her personal safety. “He's a criminal. They are all criminals. You don’t want to dig into that.”

“Rory, more than half of those men have violent crimes on their rap sheets.” Jeffrey took her hand and for a moment, she saw her father looking back at her. “I mean shit girl, that's only what they've been charged with, not the numerous other crimes we all know they've committed.”

Murder sat foremost in her mind.

“They wouldn't hurt me.” That was conditional but Rory didn’t plan on ever giving them cause. “And I really like him. Please don't make me chose, guys.”

When they didn't speak, she knew they just didn't want to have to say it. These were the times Eric would take over and say the things they weren't comfortable expressing. It was more than her wellbeing and principals though.

“In our line of work,” Jeffrey started.

“Please.” She begged. “Just don't push me out. I can't throw away my family for a few months with this guy but I don't want to give him up either. I like him, a lot, and I want to see where it all goes.”

Johnny and Jeffrey shared a look and the former passed her the whisky again. There was no turning her down, she'd always get her way.

--

Happy was in bed, hardly drunk enough and very alone, staring up at the ceiling fan. It had been hours and Rory still hadn't called him back. Part of him wanted to head back to the clubhouse. In anger, he’d grab the first crow eater, a brunette and the physical opposite of Rory, to go screw all night. A bigger part of him actually wanted to talk to Rory though. It wasn't a screw he wanted and he hated that change in him. They were both night owls, which only made the time; half passed three, more of a concern. What was she doing?

He fell asleep after a few shots and as soon as he opened his eyes, Happy flicked open his phone just as Rory called. She decided to call him in the morning, things always seemed clearer for her after a full night of sleep but sadly, it didn’t work this time. She was out on the small balcony, still uncomfortable with talking to Happy in Eric’s home. She smiled a little as he grumbled a greeting.

“Hey.” There was an eagerness in his voice she'd never heard before.

“Hi Hap. How are you?”

“Good. Horny.” With a chuckle, he laid back, one hand behind his head. “How'd they take it?”

It was a relief to hear actually. She was terrified he'd go back to his rumored ways. Happy never denied the jokes the club made, a new woman every night, and it was a fear in the back of her mind since she left.

“Not well.”

“Fuck em'.”

“Hey, come on.” She pouted and forced herself to step back into the apartment. “How would you feel if you hurt one of those guys in the club? They blame me for leaving and I did when Emmett died. I just checked out.”

“I'm sorry.” He said and Rory actually believed him that time. “When are you coming back?”

“I'm not sure.” She admitted regretfully and sat back on the bed where her funeral planning and notepad waited for her. “It might be a little while longer than I thought. We're working some shit out.”

“I can be there in a few hours. At least let me come up and get my dick wet.”

Rory rolled her eyes. “I’ve got a lot of work to do. I'll call you later.”

--

Alright my lovely readers, I have a task for you! I have a few ideas floating around in my head for our twisted little couple BUT I want to hear what you guys would like/are thinking! I can't promise I'll use them but I want to see if any of mine line up with yours! Message me some ideas and vote/comment on the chapter! 

Thanks for the support on this and my other stories. You guys seriously rock! xoxo