Chapter 16

Happy was distracted. The entire ordeal was only in the back of his mind as he kept finding himself thinking, actually more like worrying, about Rory. It wasn't like him at all to have anything overshadow the club but as they made their way back from finally retrieving the stolen guns, passing Rory's abandoned car, he felt he made the wrong decision by going with Jax.

"I'm out." He barked when everything was said and done. "Going to head into the clubhouse and hit up Juice, she ain't back yet. I know something's wrong."

Watching him with a suspicious look and cocked eyebrow, Clay turned to Tig. "I don't like that."

"Hap? He's fine, just pussy drunk."

"When's the Tacoma Killer ever been pussy drunk?" He asked, hooking his sunglasses in his breast pocket.

"Good point." Tig deadpanned and rubbed his chin as Happy disappeared into the clubhouse. "Want me to watch his back?"

Clay nodded, slapping Tig's leather. "Yes brother, I do."

--

"They each got different addresses but," Juice paused to click around, "It looks like the closest is this guy's."

The address and driver's license for Jeffrey Hotchkiss popped up on the screen. "Still like five hours away though." Juice added as Tig joined their conversation.

"I remember him," Tig tapped the screen, "He played Daddy Dearest. Those two pricks, the younger pretty boys, they had it bad for your girl Hap."

"Bad enough to snatch her?" He asked, his intense stare focused on Tig. His acceptance of Rory as his girl wasn't lost on Tig or Juice but they didn't comment. "The one with the short hair, I knew he was crazy just by the way he looked at her."

"Was it anything like the way you're looking at me? You're freaking ME out, man."

"That's when you know you got a problem." Juice joked and handed the printed addresses to Happy.

Seeing Happy still wanted an answer Tig shrugged hoping to not make it seem like too big of a deal. "I think those guys are constantly measuring their dicks. If they know you're sniffing around I think they'd do anything to get her away from the club all together."

Happy nodded and charged toward the door with Tig on his heels. "Coming brother?"

"Shit yeah, I'd love to get back at those motherfuckers."

--

While Happy was distracted, Rory was feeling painfully foolish. She truly believed Happy would have come for her but her faith was dwindling.

Whatever kind of vibe they were going for wasn't working. The dinner they had was awkward and the conversation forced. Twice, when Rory headed toward the front door, Eric physically stopped her. It made her wonder who he really was and how long he'd been hiding the crazy she saw in him. They all had abandonment issues, among others, but he had gone too far. Feeling sorry for herself Rory joined Johnny on the couch for some TV.

"You okay?" He asked, tearing his eyes away from the screen. "I don't know what's gotten into Eric."

It might have made more sense to Johnny if he knew Eric had seen her murder a man but Rory wasn't too concerned with his clarity. "No, I'm not okay. He's lost his fucking mind and you have too. Why are you helping him? Is it me or is it his issues with who I'm spending time with?"

"Both I think." He sounded sad as he turned away from her. "I surprised you haven't hulked out and just left. Seems you're different too, not just him."