Chapter Nine

Dallas’s P.O.V.

I didn’t want to let her go through with this, any of it, but I knew I couldn’t be the one to stop her. I also couldn’t betray her trust and tell anyone. But now, holding her in my arms, I knew I had to try one more time to convince her, help her see that we can find a better way.

“I love you, Dallas. I’ll see you soon,” she said, distracting me from my thoughts and hesitantly letting go of me. Stepping back, she wiped her eyes, as they had become watery, and smiled sadly.

Now, the next fleet of trains had arrived and were flying by.

“YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THIS! THERE HAS TO BE A DIFFERENT WAY; WE CAN FIND A DIFFERENT WAY!” I shouted over the deafening roar of the passing trains, hoping she could hear me.

“I DO; YOU KNOW I DO, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY!” she shouted back, on the verge of tears.

    A look of fear took over her face, but before I could turn around to see why, I collapsed. I could feel myself fading and something warm running down my neck.

    “That didn’t have to happen,” was the last thing I heard before darkness consumed me.

...

Beep… Beep… Beep…

At  first it was faint, but then it grew louder, as if the volume was being increased. I started to stretch, but stopped short when I heard people talking.

“-we have to do something,” a masculine voice stated, “they lied to us and now our baby is missing. They can’t just go unpunished”

“We don’t even know what happened,” a feminine voice began saying, “they could have a completely logical explanation for all this.”

It was my parents; they were arguing, probably about our ‘camping’ trip.

“-she may be missing, but right now our other baby is in a hospital bed not even five feet away. And all you can think about is how you’re going to punish him?!? We don’t even know if he is going to be okay yet!” Mom said, the volume of her voice rising. They had not noticed I had awoken and kept arguing. I, on the other hand, stopped listening as my thoughts drowned out their voices.

Obviously, I’m in a hospital. That explains the incessant beeping noise; it’s my heart monitor.

The last thing I remember is arriving at the motel and walking Phoenix to where she planned to hop a train Divergent style. After that everything is a little fuzzy.

I lay there, still seemingly asleep and try to remember more. Why, exactly, am I here? What happened?

As I focus, bits and pieces float back through my memory, until the picture is complete.

I had made a final attempt to get her to take a different approach, but she wouldn’t hear it, she truly believed that this was the only way.

Out of nowhere, something that terrified her appeared and I fell to the ground, blood running down my neck. Only one thing has ever scared her that much, spiders…

Wait… that voice! That idiot has my sister!

This realisation causes me to jolt up into the seated position, effectively startling my parents and cutting their conversation short. My monitor's beeping increased dramatically and I ripped the all the hospital crap off and out of me. I jumped out of the bed and spotted my clothes on a chair nearby. I ran to them and quickly pulled them on, throwing the hospital gown on the ground.

“Mom, where are Blade and Blair?” I said as I laced up my sneakers

She quickly snapped out of the shocked state my sudden outburst had caused at me calling her name.