Chapter Twelve

~ ONE MONTH LATER ~

    It’s been a month, one whole month since I told the police everything. They haven’t found him, and I don’t think they ever will. They found some evidence linking him to the Alonzo crime family. It turns out his dad is the head of the Italian Mafia, I never would’ve seen that coming. It shocked me, but now I know how he was able to drop off the face of the planet. Everyone has been so much more protective now that they know, we even bought a whole new security system; which I said was pointless because I mean, come on, what are the chances of the Italian Mafia not being able to bypass an alarm system.

    Once the hysterics died down, our parents grounded us. They didn’t even tell us for how long, just that we’re grounded. This is not the first time they’ve done this though, they usually set us free within a couple weeks after they get sick of us moping around and/or annoying them.  Everybody keeps telling me it’s okay to cry, to let down my walls, but that’s the thing, there are no walls. All I feel is numb. There are really only a few things that can make me smile nowadays, my friends/family filling most of that list. I just honestly don’t care anymore, and I know that it kills Dallas. He spends most of his time just trying to get me to smile, but sometimes I just can’t.

~ THREE MONTHS LATER ~

    Now it has been about four months since I went to the cops, and I’m doing a lot better. I smile more and it’s easier to make me do so. There is now only one thing I don’t care about. Whether or not they find him. Markos. For a while I didn’t even want to hear his name, but now it doesn’t affect me at all. I think he even may have forgotten about me, I just hope he hasn’t found a new victim to prey on. I wouldn’t wish what he has done to me on anyone; not even my worst enemy.

    We’re still grounded though.

...

~ THE NEXT YEAR ~

    I think I’m free, I think that he has finally either forgotten about me or given up. Realized that I’ll never go anywhere without a fight and even if he does get me, it won’t be for long. Right now, I’m getting ready to go to DisneyLand with Dallas, Blade, Blair, Gunner and Archer because we are no longer grounded. Well, they ungrounded us a couple months back but we were still given a few restrictions; one of them being travel; but now that we are not grounded, we’re going to one of the coolest places we’ve ever been. (Even though we’ve all only been there once before in our entire lives, and even then we went together)  The bags are already stuffed into the van and we’re just waiting for our parents to stop fussing over us. They keep asking if we have everything packed, if we have enough snacks, if we want them to come, if I’m gonna be okay without them.

“Mom, we’ll be fine. Now we need to go now if we want to get there before nightfall,” I said trying t convince her.

“You’re right, I know, I know. I just, I’m worried that that you’ll need something and we won’t be there, and-”

“Mom,” Dallas cut her off, “we’ll be fine. Gunner and Archer will be with us, nothing is going to happen.”

She sighed and nodded, curling into Dad’s side trying not to be so overprotective.

“Quick, make a break for it before she changes her mind,” Dad said only half joking. 

We took the hint and said our goodbyes, before heading out the door. We hopped in the van and drove off, excited for this new adventure. None of us have been to DisneyLand before. We’re just driving on the freeway, listening to the radio and singing along, horribly, when my phone rang. Archer turned down the radio and we were all laughing at how bad we sounded.

“That’s weird,” I said looking at my phone, “it’s an unknown number.”

They looked at me curiously but I just shrugged and answered the call.

“New phone, who dis?” I asked.

It wasn’t a lie, after everything I ended up getting another new phone, plus it was just something I've always wanted to say

“Tick-tock, your time is up. I told you you’d never leave me. I’ll see you when you wake up.”

Before I even had time to react or process the caller’s words, we were rammed by another car on my side and the van went rolling off the the side of the road. I was fading fast and just hoped everyone else was okay. The last thing I saw before falling unconscious was him leaning against that black sedan with a smirk, just watching the whole seen play out.

(832 words)