Chapter 1 || "Watch out pretty boy."

Yelling filled the house as the kitchen walls made the echo of their voices boom. I held out as long as I could but their noise never stopped. 25 years ago I lost the only stable person in my family. I barely even knew him. I wasn't even alive yet. But part of his journey meets with mine.

Through pictures and songs, the bass lines and unwritten melodies. All I could wonder is what would he say to me.. would he hug me if we met ? Would he know I'm his sister. I looked over to my dog as I lay sprawled out across my bed. The sheets dark black, the walls a light grey to match. My dirty sneakers leaving marks across them.

" Ya know.. I wonder what he was like."

" All the time I question it, how did he get through mom and dad."

" Soon enough the divorce will finalize but when?"

Almost on cue, my door swung open

" Pack your things, Aliyah." My mother said quickly as she tossed me two boxes

With the brink of divorce and not enough money to pay the electricity bill. My mother was done. My father's addiction and anger issues fueled her to leave. We look like such a happy family on the outside. But at the end of the day, my parents were never meant to be together. Mostly because love isn't real... it never lasts.

I knew this was coming for weeks, I've heard her on the phone calling some Los Angeles school. If we go I'll never know what happened to Reggie. She waited until he passed out. 

I packed the little clothes I had, Reggie's flannel, and what was left of my old CD collection. I pulled the last remaining shattered case. One of dad's many attributes.. breaking the things I care for. 

"Sunset Curve.." I whispered softly

The CD still somewhat intact but unplayable

Busted with the pressure of his shoe stepping on it when he grew angry. From one simple question.

" What was my brother like?.."

I've learned to stop asking and just do what they say. Speak quickly and if they come your way look them in the eye and if you cry. You better feel ashamed. Because if you cry you're weak.. if you cry you are far from what they expect you to be.

I taped the box shut, the CD laying inside. My dog starring at me. I closed the closet door. When suddenly a small crumbled piece of paper floated to the ground.

I unscrambled it

"Setlist for the Orpheum" it read

" Song 1: Bright - written by Luke"
Below the lyrics listed with the piano keys and everything. I smiled at the paper, the car horn beeped and I rushed outside. Packing my things in the car.

"Where are we going?" I asked hesitantly

"Los Angeles." She muttered

I looked back through the window as the home I've known since birth drifted in the distance..

Goodbye Idaho

———-

I woke up to the sound of tussling in the back seat of the car. I rubbed my eyes. I shrugged my bags over my shoulder stepping out of the car.