Lucky~Jason Mraz ft. Colby Caillat

Katniss

This morning I woke up in Peeta's arms and I feel so unbelievably rested and well... lucky. I wish I could wake up this way every morning. I'm ashamed that I felt so desperate last night but I've missed Peeta terribly. He said he needed space after that stunt I pulled. I'm sure it didn't help seeing Gale. I don't want to push him but my days are better with Peeta in them.

I can tell he's starting to waking up. His arms are moving over my waist and I feel something that I don't think is his hand on my lower back. I'm not sure if he was ready to talk to me, but I asked him why he was avoiding me last night.

"Good morning did you sleep as well as I did?" He asks.

His hair is getting longer. It takes everything in me not to run my fingers through it. Maybe I'll ask him if he wants me to cut it.

"Good morning and yes. I slept very well, thank you." I say stretching.

I wonder if I should say what's on my mind or suggest breakfast.

"I didn't forget that we're supposed to talk this morning but I think I just heard your stomach growl. Can I make you some breakfast, please?" He asks sweetly.

I'm hungry and he is the best cook besides Greasy Sae in District 12.

"Of course. As long as I can help." I bargain.

He says he'll meet me in the kitchen in 10 minutes and I go to the bathroom to freshen up while he runs home to grab some ingredients. Once I've brushed my teeth and gone downstairs, I start thinking about how much easier it would be if we lived in the same house. But I don't think Peeta would be okay with anything like that unless... well unless... we got married. Which is not something either of us is ready for.

Are we?

He's gets back and says, "I was thinking pancakes and eggs with berries. What do you think?"

"That sounds really good. What can I do?" I ask.

"Take the berries and rinse them and put them in a bowl."

I nod and he goes on, "Then crack about 4 eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper."

"Alright, should I get the pan out?" I ask.

"Yeah, and do you have syrup?" He asks. "Because if not we can put the berries on the pancakes."

"I do have syrup, but berries on the pancakes sounds yummy." I say hungrily.

We work around each other and I admire his arms while he mixes the pancake batter. Then he cooks the eggs and pancakes. Everything's done much sooner than I expect. I dig in.

"So you asked me a question last night... and I want to answer it." He starts. "I'm not avoiding you because I don't want to be around you or because I don't realize what you were trying to do the other day. I know and I don't want that... I mean I want you to look pretty if you want but... when I saw you like that, I didn't know what you were thinking. Honestly, I still might not." He takes a deep breath and blows out.

"Peeta, I was trying to look desirable to you and I didn't know that you would or could be offended. Maybe it was presumptuous of me to think you... would just-" I try to explain, but get cut off.

"Katniss, I want you. In every way a man can want a woman. But I wasn't expecting you to be in a place to... accept a man, uh, in your bed." He laughs a little.

I smile and blush.

"Besides, I thought you'd be waiting for... love." He almost whispers the last part.

Maybe I should tell him. That I want to be more than friends. That I'm not sure if I'm ready for sex. Yet. But I think I do love him. I'm just scared and embarrassed. So I swallow the suddenly dry lump in my throat.

It's silent for a long while.

Eventually I tell him, "I am. I haven't done anything yet."

I guess he doesn't love me or he wouldn't have said I should wait for love. Would he?

He's blushing now and says, "I was wondering if I could ask you out on a date?"

My jaw almost hits the floor and I feel his hand slide over mine. I'm a little confused. At least a date is a step forward.

"I... would like that." I say, still shocked but I smile.

"Really? Okay great." He says. "How about tonight at 6:00?"

He's getting up from the table and pulls me up with him.

"Um, 6:00 is good but where are we-"

"Shhh, it's a surprise" He says putting a finger over my lips.

"Okay, but what should I wear?"

"Just wear what you're comfortable in." He says then places a peck on my cheek and leaves smiling.

Wow! I'm going on a date with Peeta.

I need to call Jo and tell her.