Somebody That I Used to Know~Gotye

Katniss

"Hey Catnip."

I can't believe Gale is here. I don't even know how I feel

MAD! SHOCKED! HAPPY!

All these emotions cross my mind as he's hugging me. And Peeta is just standing there.

"Well, you have company so I'll go." Peeta says.

He'll GO? But...

He looks kind of hurt but shakes Gale's hand.

Is he okay with Gale being here? Am I okay with Gale being here.

Gale grabs my side and squeezes me and Peeta rushes out as I say, "Gale let go!"

He laughs but I push his hand and he lets go.

"Sorry. He makes it too easy."

"Gale? What's that supposed to mean? Why are you here?"

He stops smiling and gets a serious look on his face.

"Katniss I came here to tell you how sorry I am. For everything."

I soften my anger a little. Looking into his grey eyes just like mine, I realize I missed my best friend.

"Gale, I know you would never hurt me... or my family, just like I would never hurt yours and I don't want you to blame yourself for Prim's-"

"But I do..." He cuts me off. "I was a coward and couldn't come here because I knew you'd hate me. But I had to face you and my fears to let you know that I'm so sorry and I'm still your best friend. Even if you don't want me anymore."

But he's so late.

"I appreciate what you're saying but why'd it take you so long to come here and make things right? I have dealt with losing Prim without you. My best friend wasn't there. You didn't call or write or care. I don't have a dad. My mom can't stand to live here and you were like family Gale."

I'm reliving the hurt. I scream and hit his chest. But he grabs my hands and pulls me into a hug.

"I know I'm a... a..."

"A jerk!" I finish for him and he's laughing.

"Please forgive me." He begs then let me go.

"I can. But I can also get through things without you now. I have made a new family with Haymitch, Johanna, Delly, Annie, and Finnick..."

"And Peeta?" He asks. I look away and he pulls my chin up to look at him. "I knew you were going to choose him." He says smiling. "It's one of the reasons I didn't come sooner. I knew he'd be taking as good of care of you as I would. But I couldn't just be somebody that you used to know. So I had to come. I miss you Catnip." He confesses.

"Gale, I've missed you too... But I have chosen Peeta, at least to be... my person. I can rely on him and I need to help him as much as I can. Even if he only wants to be my friend." I add at the end even though I didn't mean to out loud.

"Katniss." He laughs. "What are you talking about? The man that just stormed out of here and nearly broke my hand, does NOT just want to be your friend." He says massaging the hand Peeta grabbed.

"I don't know..." I admit.

"I do. I walked in on something, right? What's with the get up?" He says pulling at my shorts and ponytail.

"I was trying to... I don't wanna talk about this with you." I say blushing.

"Look Katniss, I know I lost your trust but I'm still your friend and I'd like to be your number two or three person." He says smiling. "You don't have to tell me what was going on, but can I give you some advice?"

I'm embarrassed so I nod yes.

"You don't have to dress a certain way to get Peeta's attention. He loves you Kat. Take it from me, who also loves you." I blush harder at that.

"I'm trying to move on from you, with... a few ladies I've met." He smiles wide. "And if it doesn't work out with Peeta I would definitely be there, maybe even available." He winks at me.

I laugh.

"But he's a determined son of a baker." He chuckles. "So I doubt you have to do anything but wait, until he's ready to make his move. And be willing, to open yourself up to love and all it can offer."

"Thank you Gale. I've missed this, us. And I'm sorry for any pain I've caused you in trying to figure out my feelings." I say.

"It's okay Catnip. You were saving all our butts. You know. You're kinda my hero."

We both laugh and I'm happy to have gotten another friend came back from the war.