The One

There was a thing that Millie loved immensely and that nobody could take away from her no matter how much time passed. And that thing was, without any doubt, reading.

Now that the world was on hold due to a pandemic that has been going on for months, she had time not only for writing another novel, but also losing herself in stories of someone else and living them as if they were hers.

When she was young, Millie dreamt about happy endings and living the best adventures just like the heroines in her precious books, ignoring how she would live one in the moment she would step into Finn Wolfhard's mansion when she was barely eighteen, working as a housemaid for him.

It seems that centuries have passed since that day, but it was just a matter of seven years. She is twenty-five now, more mature, and the best mom you could ask for.

Still a disaster in cooking too, she has to admit that, but one can't be perfect, right?

She glances at the window for a second, just in time to fix her reading glasses with the point of her index finger on her nose. By a superficial look, it seemed to be more like fall than summer, but it was incredibly hot and humid, making her hair stick to her face and her limbs sweat.

Despite the climate, she is enjoying this day of quarantine in the most simple way, with a cup of cold tea on the coffee table of her personal library, the apricot aroma so strong it just made her mouth water, the sound of the pouring rain outside Castle Wolfbrown, tapping vivaciously on the crystal of the windows, and a book in her hands that she has been reading for hours now.

Prince and Primrose were spending time indoors with their father as he claimed: "it's my turn to take care of the Royal pains in the ass", consolidating his humorous quote with a solid kiss on her temple.

Regardless of his words, Millie knew that Finn loved their kids endlessly. He was crazy about them, and they turned him into the child he never was when he played with them.

No matter how degrading the situation was (wearing a wig, playing with Barbie dolls, improvising himself as a lady in a tea party): as long as he stayed around their children, his heart healed from a life made of solitude and loss.

About that, he was starting to ask from time to time to have a third one. The idea didn't dread her, as she always wanted a large family. Still, she wanted to enjoy Primrose's days of kindergarten and Prince's first successes at school.

Finn was patient with her, and caring, and he would never pressure her doing something she didn't want. Even though a new child would surely be fun to handle, and to make.

Prince and Primrose were created in particular circumstances and in unconventional places, so she wondered what the hell would have happened with the next one. Would they convince them on the freaking moon?

She shooshes away this thought, and flips through the pages eagerly, the volume stuck between her chest and legs, her knees working as a support for the cover of the book. Her eyes scan the content, absorbing each word, each comma, trying her best to not look crazy even if nobody was around her.

She was so passionate when it came to reading.

One thing about Millie is that her books always turned into a rainbow, just like she was: she highlighted her favorite quotes with different colors and wrote little comments anytime a scene would impress her or simply let her squeal.

"—Oh my God, America, stop this freaking madness! You have to let go of Aspen and choose Maxon for good!" She groans, commenting out loud on the plot of the book she has been reading for days.