4. Seeing Missy Again

Missy's view

I had gone to Cairns with 3 of my 4 children to look and stay at a unit for sale. The unit was on the cliff side next to the beach, it was one of the few units for sale in the area. The reason I had come to look was it was cheap and it was not only beside the beach but it also could see the local monument that artists from far and wide would come to sketch.

The monument had formed when a severe earthquake hit Cairns, and looked a bit like the Easter Island Faces, however, this was made from natural sandstone and I wanted to try drawing again. I hadn't in years.

The unit itself was run down but this didn't bother me, my husband could fix everything. While I was there, I ran into two old school mates Darren and David. I knew that they wanted to hang out with me despite how I now looked, but I was concerned that they would take it the wrong way as they were 2 very lonely bachelors. So, I was deciding who to spend the time with as I knew full well the fickleness of the human nature. It doesn't matter how good you are... when you are lonely you can fail your partner.

I was seriously lonely, as I had been unable to see my partner for a month.

I decided that I would spend the time with David, the next day before we left the day after, as it was his mother selling the unit with land. David would also accept my kids travelling around with us as we talked. I was positive that nothing untoward would happen either.

Just as I had decided that, the church next door finished. I looked over, and to my surprise, it was a Indian American church, I had visited, with my husband, years ago. I remembered that I got extremely well with Ramone, the young people leader and his sister Tracey.

I saw Tracey and went and talked with her. She was incredibly tall now, when I last saw her, she was my height, if I stood on my tip toes, I could look at her normally. Tracey had long brown straight hair and brown eyes that had a tinge of hazel in them. I had always loved her eyes, and looking into them as they were so clear and sparkly. This time though, her eyes were filled with contentment as she was married now and expecting a baby within the month. So, we talked about that for a bit.

"Tracey," I ask "What happened to Ramone?" As I could not help but look for him and notice that he was missing.

"Sorry Missy, Ramone isn't here he had another engagement. He would be so disappointed that he didn't get to see you, you know. How long are you here for?"

"I will be here tomorrow, then we have to go back home the next day."

"You know Missy, Ramone was so disappointed to find that you were still married with 4 kids at that, last time you met. But he liked your husband, he found him funny."

"I didn't know, I was just happy to be friends with you both." Remembering the uncontrolled schwing I felt towards him. I ignored those troublesome feelings and became friends instead.

"I am sorry, Missy, I have to go now" she apologises because her partner took her away. "Feel free to mingle."

So, I did.

I saw a lonely looking guy off to the side, not interacting with anyone and looking like he was going to run away. Everyone appeared to be ignoring him, so I decided to talk with him, I don't like people being ignored, particularly at a church gathering. He had pitted skin from bad acne as a teenager, reddy brown shaggy hair and a lean muscular body, his clothes were unkempt, but surprisingly not smelly.

"Hi! My name is Missy" I greet him with a smile "What is your name?"

"S&^%$" is what I heard.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that. Could you please repeat it."