3.

↑Rowan reading on the tree↑

Rowan's POV

We were back at the Brown's house. The adults were downstairs having tea while talking about who knows what. While the children's were upstairs. Simon was looking out the window. While Seb and Chrissy were just messing around, and Eric was working on one of his 'inventions.' I was talking to Tora when all of a sudden a beautiful lady walked in. She looked young.

"Hey Evangeline," Lily said.

"Hello Lily," she answered politely. Then her gaze landed on me. "And who might you be?" she asked nicely.

"I'm Rowan, i'm the new neighbor."

"Oh why hello there dear," she greeted. She sat down on a stool, and everyone seemed to have gathered around her. She was clutching a book in her arms.

"What's your book about Evangeline?" Questioned Tora.

"It's about the daughter of a nice man who remarries after his wife dies and the step mother's horrid to her," replied Lily.

"Why doesn't the man stop her from being horrid?" Evangeline said confused.

"Because all fathers turn bad once their wives die," Simon butted in turning away from the window "they don't care anymore."

"Simon... Yours does." Evangeline spoke sadly.

"No, no he doesn't, does he read to Chrissy like he used to? Does he play cricket with us like he used to? He doesn't even sing lullabies to Aggie anymore, we hardly see him."

"He loves you Simon you know that, he's just had a lot on his mind since-"

"Since mother died" after Simon said that the room was dead silent.

"You two used to be as close as anything." Evangeline stated.

"Not anymore." Simon told her coldly "all he cares about now is finding himself a nice new wife."

"Well..." She began "I don't know if that's true or not but maybe it will be nice to have a new mother."

Lily was quick to reply "don't you know anything about the world Evangeline, whoever he marries will treat us like slaves."

"You don't know that" She retorted.

"Plenty of hard evidence for it." Eric said putting a book of fairy tales on her lap. "There's not one stepmother in there that's even halfway decent, they are an evil breed."
"Anyway who even likes other people's children." Eric stated walking over to his guillotine.

"I like you." Evangeline replied smiling slightly.

"Yes but you're a servent, you're paid to like us, that doesn't count." He spoke again picking up a doll and chopping it's head off. After Eric said that a look of hurt crossed over Evangeline's face, but no one seemed to notice. Evangeline quickly stood up, and walked out the door. I followed her.