Chapter 2: A Treasured Daughter

After an entire day of worrying and being angry, Zhang Pei felt exhausted. She didn't have much energy to pay attention to the small details of change in her daughter, because all she could think of was her husband's incident. She doubted that her daughter would think of anything helpful, so she said, "When the police came, I put Daylight in your bedroom. She hasn't had food in an entire day, so you should go to your room and feed her."

Daylight was a little female cat that Liu Man kept as a pet. She was a beautiful cat with graduated golden fur. The gold transitioned gradually from her spine to her belly, making it look as if the sun were shining. As a result, Liu Man nicknamed her "Daylight." Daylight was only five months old, and had been bought from the cat store when she was only two months old, because Liu Man had begged for her father to.

At first, Liu Man cared a lot about Daylight and did everything for her. She even held the cat everywhere. But then, because she was always interested in new things for short periods of time, and since there were always so many new things, she soon got tired and even despised her new job as a babysitter of a cat, and simply left the cat with her mother.

The master bedroom in the house belonged to Liu Man. She had always been so treasured by her parents. Liu Man pushed open the door towards the bedroom, and the first thing that came into her sight was the golden cat, who was standing with two paws on the ground and two paws leaning against the back of the door. She timidly stared at Liu Man with her huge, green eyes, looking as if she had been standing there forever.

Liu Man didn't understand what "graduated golden fur" was, or "british shorthair." These kinds of words were quite unfamiliar to her. She only remembered that a long time ago, her neighbor at the isolated palace, Yu Beauty, had a tabby cat. It also had such round eyes, like glass marbles. It was smart and naughty. Although its fur wasn't this expensive and golden, it had, nevertheless, looked pretty.

Because the two palaces were so close, the tabby cat always liked to run into her palace. It would sometimes run into her bedroom and come under the covers to accompany her while she's sleeping. This seemed to make all of those cold days, warmer.

But one day, that tabby cat was poisoned.

Yu Beauty cried horribly, and shrieked with tears all over her face, "They really want me to die!"

Not long after that, Yu Beauty's beauty disappeared too.

TL Note: So, I think that means like, Yu Beauty had her face scarred too?

"Meow," Daylight called with an extremely soft voice, interrupting Liu Man's memories.

Liu Man kneeled down and stretched out a hand. The kitten stepped back, but couldn't resist. She leaned her furry little head into Liu Man's palm and nudged a little. She paced around her owner, wagging her tail. She looked so cute.

Liu Man took out a pack of cat food from the cupboard. Daylight's eyes immediately lightened up after smelling the cat food. She meowed non-stop while walking towards her bowl, peering over her shoulders to see if Liu Man was following.

The kitten was indeed starving.

After Liu Man filled the bowl with cat food, Daylight happily put her head inside and started to eat, making crispy chewing noises.

When Liu Man saw her eating with such a good appetite, she felt her heart softening.

Beside the cupboards, there was a black upright piano. It was the most expensive furniture in the house and had accompanied Liu Man for fifteen years. At first, Zhang Pei made her daughter practice it as a hobby. But later on, it became the skill that helped her get into the university.