1981

Mike woke up that morning with mixed emotions. Since November Nancy had been telling him about how different Christmas will be for him now that he isn't the youngest child. Which filled the 10 year old boy with dread. But he was sure that since Hollys first birthday was only 2 days after Christmas, it would be fine. He was also happy because he was going to see Will again. For the second Christmas in a row. He loved Christmas last year. Having the Byers there just made it feel complete. Also he liked that he had someone to play with instead of being bored watching Barb and Nancy talking about girly things, which he would have had to do if it wasn't for his Mum inviting the Byers.

When Will arrived Mike ran up to him and gave him a big hug, just like last year, he then grabbed his hand and lead him down to the basement, just like last year. The two boys rushed past Karen as she said 'Hi Will'. The little boy didn't even look at her, he just shouted 'Hi' back. Causing both Karen and Joyce to laugh as Joyce and Jonathan came in. Joyce made her way up to Karen, who was holding Holly, and said hi to the infant. Karen held Holly out 'You want to hold her?'. Joyce smiled and nodded, taking the baby off her friends hands. As the two women made there way into the kitchen, talking about... who knows what, Mike and Will were just having fun in the basement.

'I made you something' Will said with a cheeky smile. Mike looked at him suspiciously 'If this is another frog I will tickle you'. The smaller boy giggled 'it's not. Just look at it' he said, handing Mike a piece of paper. Mike grabbed it from him 'Paladin' he whispered softly. He then ran up to Will and gave him a big hug 'Thank you Willlyyyy'. Will chuckled 'You like it?'. Mike let go of the smaller boy 'I love it'. The boys fell into silence. Until Mike spoke again 'I wish we had a full party'. Will gave him a confused look 'We do'. The raven haired boy rolled his eyes 'Playing with Troy and James isn't a full party'. The hazel eyed boys face grew into one of concern 'But we can't stop playing with them, they'll bully us'. Mike took a deep in 'Will, they already do'.

At dinner, everyone remained silent. Especially Ted, who was obviously asleep. The only noise was Holly crying upstairs. Which Karen tried her best to ignore, but failed. The boys hadn't spoken to each other since their conversation in the basement. It was kinda getting awkward. Mike knew that Will didn't want to get bullied anymore than he already was. He also knew that he was ready to protect Will if either of this bum holes decided to go near him. But they had only started playing it with Troy and James until they managed to get Lucas and Dustin to play with them. Which was proving more difficult than he had originally anticipated. Will knew that playing with Troy and James was a stupid idea to begin with, but he had just never known how to say no. So they sat in silence and had the most awkward Christmas dinner of their lives.

After they ate, Joyce and Karen spoke in the kitchen while doing the washing up, Nancy and Jonathan spoke while sitting on the couch watching Holly, Ted was still asleep at the table and Mike and Will went back to the basement. They were sat in silence. Until Mike had had enough 'Hey Will, you know I won't let them hurt you'. Wills face dropped 'You can't promise that. No one can'. Mike grabbed Wills hand 'I can. Look, I know you're scared. I am too. But if we can just get Lucas and Dustin to play with us then we can do it. Plus, I think we just need to distance ourselves from them and show we don't care what they say. Then we can do it together'. Will smiled 'Ok then' he turned to Mike 'Let's start a new party, you and me'.

-authors note-
Ok I randomly came up with the idea that Mike and Will were originally in a party with Troy and James and then they left them for Lucas and Dustin and that's why they were bullied. Like obviously that would have been way before 1981 but I wanted to add it into this fanfic. And honestly I kinda like it. I hope you're enjoying it so far. I really like writing baby Byler shit cause I think it's so wholesome. Anygays, I'll let you get back to reading.

27th November 2020
805 words