Mistakes Were Made

• Dedicated to Mike Shinoda

It was time to leave. I slid my two pistols into the back of my jeans carefully making sure they were on safety, so I didn't shoot myself by incident. I walked to a broken mirror and pulled my hair back in a hair tie. My hair was getting quite long. It was down to my hips. I grabbed a pair so scissors and settled my hair back down from the ponytail. I brushed my hair then brought the scissors to my hair. I stared at myself in the mirror for a moment. I stared back at me. Goodbye long hair. Clip. I watched in the mirror as the black hair fell. I continued all the way around my hair until my hair was up to my mid-neck. I ran my fingers through the short hair. The blue bit in my hair was gone now.

I gave the mirror a small smile before walking away to where everyone who planned to go on the gas retrieval mission would meet. My head felt so much lighter now. I looked up at Mike. It took him a second to process the short hair but he shrugged it off and motioned Rob, Brad, Jack, and I to the garage door. I double checked my belt that I had sewn small pockets for ammo to make sure I brought enough ammunition. Good. I nodded to Mike and he nodded to Brent the man waiting to open the door.

The door lifted. A whoosh of cool air hit our faces. Air. The air reeked of rotting flesh that has been left for 3 months. Despite the fact, we took pleasure from direct outside air. Maybe the smell will go away some day. Days, weeks, months, maybe years later? Someday though. Someday we can breathe in the calming smell of pines, the smell of spring, summer, fall, and winter.

We slid out of the building as quietly as humanly possible. It was quiet and peaceful unlike how it was when there was people around. When these thoughts first started arising to our minds we sort of began to question our sanity. How could we find any peace in most of the human race gone? For a while we just suppressed these thoughts. After time went by though we began to realize when people are gone the world is much more quiet. No yelling, no machines clanging everywhere we look, no wars, nothing that has came from people around anymore, except for us. For the longest time we have been wondering if everyone else in the city either fled or died and we were the last last remnants in the city. Maybe so. We know for sure there must be other people on the Earth besides us. We don't even have that heavy of defence and yet we're surviving. So people who are better equipped are for sure living and roaming around the Earth. We just haven't found any of them yet. With time we maybe will, or we'll die before we do. For all we know, there is people in the city with us and we just haven't found them quite yet. Still, all I wish to do is find someone else now who isn't in our group to disprove any doubts I have.

We stepping into the abandoned streets. The cool breeze whispered in our ears to move on. We could hear some faint groans and moans from the dead not too far ahead. There must've been some load noise ahead of us not too long ago since there sounds like there is quite a few.

"Hey Mike, should we detour or just keep going forward and push through them?" Rob asked in a hushed voice.

Mike stopped and began to think. What are you thinking Mike...? He finally looked up at us.

"We'll see how many there are. If there isn't too many we'll push through."

We began to walk forward towards the sounds down the main road. I slowly slid my pistols out from the back of my pants. The hill we were walking up at least wasn't too steep which made things not too much harder than they already were. Soon as I reached the top I hid behind a white Toyota and waited for the others to catch up. Mike gave me a sharp look obviously not liking the fact that I was going ahead of everyone. I just gave him a small shrug and grin then peeked around the car to see how many dead were walking around on the road.

The number of dead was mind boggling. I gave up counting soon as I reached 20. I looked at the others and just slowly shook my head. I could feel my face wrinkle up as a gave them a face of concern. I slowly inched over to Mike and he kneeled down a bit more so his ear was close enough for me to whisper how many.