The Bloody Burns

Midnight's Perspective

I peaked around the shelf that Mike had run around. The deafening sounds of loud bangs of fists hitting something, guns firing, and now loud yells from the dead filled my small ears. I saw Mike pull out his pistol take aim. I poked my head out farther and saw the old entrance that was now barricaded by wood with a growing hole in the middle. Bloody hands coming through the hole reaching around pulling at the wood only to be shot by Mike, Chester, Rob, and a couple other people I didn't know and still don't know to this day.

Mike inched closer to the hole shooting more and more of them while the others stopped firing. The last pair of bloody arms slid out from the hole followed by a quietly thump. I watched as he walked to the hole and slightly bent over, and looked in it but kept enough distance in hopes that nothing would attack. I felt a shiver go down my spine slowly like a spider had crawled down it.

"M-" I was about to talk as Mike turned but was suddenly embraced by a pair of arms that pulled him to the hole. I couldn't see the hole all too well but I knew right at it there was a head waiting to sink its teeth into Mike!

Out of pure instinct, I pulled my pocket knife from my pocket and ran as fast as possible to Mike. I could see the horror in his and the others eyes as if they thought I was going to attack Mike. No, I was going to attack the dead man or woman on the other side of him.

As soon as I reached them I stabbed into a woman's forehead sending blood everywhere around me and Mike. I breathed heavily and stared at the woman as she became limp with my hand still holding the handle. Mike quickly retreated away from her and I just stood there in a daze. I looked at a blood covered Mike who was wincing from sudden pain which quickly snapped me back into reality.

"Mike?!" I shouted rushing to his aid in fear that he was bitten. "What is happening?"

"Pain! Lots of fucking pain!" Mike shouted curling up on the ground in pain.

"Where?" I asked quickly.

"ALL OVER!" Mike yelped in response. I looked at the blood on him and my eyes widened in pure shock. The blood was burning holes in his clothing and skin slowly. Also, the blood had a faint blue tint. Blood isn't blue when exposed to oxygen!

"It's the blood," I said quietly to myself.

"What?" Chester asked quickly.

"The blood, it isn't normal. It has a blue coloration slightly to it, and wherever it is there are burns! Chester and Brad, pick Mike up and put him on the table behind Joe. Wheel him to the room I was in." I could see a looked if confusion on Chester's face. "Trust me, please."

Chester quickly turned around a looked at the table behind him and pushed it next to Mike. The table had wheels on the ends of each leg making it able to move with ease. Chester grabbed Mike's legs and Brad grabbed Mike by the underarms to pick him up and off the ground.

"On the count of three, one... two... THREE!" Chester said and they heaved the man onto the table. "I hope you know what you're doing, kid."

"Chester, my mother was a doctor. I know a bit on this stuff," I said reassuringly despite the of the doubts that were whispering in the back of my head, you never saved a life before, what makes you think you can? I shook my head in hopes that the thoughts would go away but instead became more pronounced. I need to focus. Mike's life is on the line. He is all I got now. I must save the man who had saved me just recently. I much repay my debt to him. I grabbed hold of the table that Mike laid on wincing in agony.

"I'll pull, you push. Brad, Make sure nothing is in the way when we move him. If you can't move what is in the way just tell us where we can go. We need to get Mike to the room," I said then let out a heavy sigh. Brad started rushing ahead of us shoving bags and other things out of our path. I looked at Chester and gave him a nod to start pushing while I pulled.