December 10: The Old Lady

The smell of burned wood came through my nose, and I jumped up fast. William's hand dropped down from my head, and landed on the ground. He just crawled to the side, and continued sleeping. Stan was in deep sleep, and I could hear that. But, that's not all I heard. Inside the forest I could hear creaking, and someone walking in the snow. I got up slowly, and started walking towards the sound. I notice on the way that the fireplace had just been extinguished, but there was no wind and the wood looked still dry. It was cold, but not that it would put out the fire. 

It was in the middle of the night, and everything was dark. It was almost that I couldn't see anything. I took my hood over my head, and started walking closer inside the forest. It just became darker and darker, suddenly something made me stop. I turned around quickly, but no one was behind me. I turned back and started to walk again. I could swear I saw something dark in my left eye corner, but I wasn't sure. I didn't see anything else so I went back to the camp.

(Alice?) I heard a voice say, and I turned fast. I stopped in front of an elder lady, and that lady was the one I had been seeing everytime, Mary Derby.

(Mrs. Derby?) I asked her, and walked slowly towards her.

(Miss. Derby. I'm unmarried) she said, standing there.

(Where did you go?) I asked her.

(For a walk) she said.

(But you disappeared, and you showed up in my dreams. Why?) I said.

(That's what I wanted to tell you. The box of yours. I know how to open it) she said, and looked past me and saw William waking up. (But we have to be alone) I heard she say.

(No, wait!) I said, but as I turned to look at her...she was gone...

(Who are you talking to?) William asked me, while he got up.

(Eh, no one. Eh, slept tight?) I asked him, and he turned looking strange at me.

(Yeah, you?) he said.

(Yeah, off course. Why wouldn't I?) I said.

(Sure?) he asked. Why was he talking so much?

(Okay, then. Hey, Stan!) he said, and hit against him. (We gotta move before they change their minds) he said, and started packing. 

(Hey, Alice. Slept okay?) Stan asked, and suddenly for no reason I got pissed.

(Yeah, off course. You guys better stop asking me that. I'm fine, total fine) I said, and walked a bit away from him.

We packed up our things, and headed away from this place. Hoping the sheriff or the King's men wouldn't find us. They wondered both how the fire got out, bit hopefully they forgot it fast.

(Where are we heading?) I asked them as we were about to ride up on a hill with the horse.

(Another village. They maybe can help us with the food) Stan said, but as soon as we got at the top. We were met by a shock....

The village was destroyed. It was almost burned down, some stood still.

(Oh, my, god!) I said, and we got down to the village. We went through the streets, and ruins. Nothing to see. Only smoke and a strange smell. We got off the horses and started wandering around the place. I followed tight upon William as we entered longer inside the village. (Who did this?) I asked them as we all turned around to see what happened.

(I have no idea) Stan said, and suddenly I notice a little boy looking at us.

(Guys?) I said, and they both turned. As we all notice him he ran away.