eighteen.

i sighed, thinking about what to say. i never really had to think about what to say around miles, normally our friendship was easy going but at times like that night -or morning- beside the tracks, it was different. this was another side of miles, "i'm an only child and i love music more than breathing-"

i wanted to slap myself at the way he winced, realizing that my words weren't really helping the situation, "sorry."

miles shook his head, staring upwards, "it's fine... what's your full name?" he asked, breathing inwards and then exhaling as if it were taking all his strength to keep breathing.

"georgia daphne lewis."

i could basically hear the smile in his voice, "daphne, that's pretty."

i started to shrug before realizing miles was still laying on me, "what's your full name?"

"miles mickey teller," miles playfully glared at me, his head coming off my shoulder as i started shaking with holding in my laughter, "hey, don't laugh. my brother picked it."

he let out a chuckle, the tears still relevant in his eyes and barely hidden behind a fan of lashes. i shook my head at him, my eyes closing slightly as i settled for a smile, "that's cute."

"you're cute," he almost-slurred, seemingly without thinking and if his eyes weren't completely glazed over, i'd have thought he meant it.

"only when you're drunk," grabbing my guitar, i stood up holding out my hand, "c'mon."

"where are we going?"

i rolled my eyes, grabbing his arm and yanking him up, "i'm not leaving you here tonight, you can stay with me."

"why?"

"because you just tried to jump in front of a moving-fucking-train, what the hell do you mean 'why'?"

he reached for his duffle, unzipping for his seemingly endless supply of beer.

"miles, you've had enough."

prying the can from him, i poured it out onto the dead patch of grass and strapped my guitar on his back, slinging his duffle over my shoulder and pulling him in the direction of my house.

there was a slight lisp to his voice as he stumbled next to me, "i can hold my alcohol, georgie." but he didn't protest.