Chapter 1

(A/N : The plot and evolution of this story is very different to the original. I am doing my best to keep the characters honest and truthful but this plot is more of a, well more of a plot :) I'd also like to recommend the Star Wars fans to check our kiraconn 's Reylo fic because I'm quite enjoying it and you might too!)

I smiled as Papa and I linked arms. There was a light breeze throughout the air usual to May. Papa commented on the sweet smell of flowers, though I chalked that up to the cemetery. If you are looking for a flowery scent, a cemetery is where the best flowers were.

In my hands, I carried a bouquet of baby's breath that itself smelled delightful. We were going to visit my mother, her anniversary was coming up and it has been 7 years.

"I ought to wonder why we chose this cemetery. It's hardly close to our home and they built that horrific building that blocked her sunset," Papa said.

I laughed at him sweetly. "We thought the view was beautiful when we picked it. There is no way we would have known about the construction plans."

Papa pursed his lips but didn't respond. We soon arrived to Mama's grave and we both fell into silence. I crouched to place the flowers in her glass vase. We had to replace it frequently because of robbers, but Papa refused to let the flowers die or dig them a hole. He claimed a real woman would want a nice vase decorated in glass leaves that climbed the trunk. We had at least ten at our home we waited to place back here. All designed after her favorite vase we still have today.

"What is your fondest memory of her, Papa?"

He thought for a moment. I could see his Adam's apple bob deeply, he was clearly emotional.

"Well, I always think back to Hamilton's wedding. It was the first time I realized how much I truly loved her. We all know we care for someone but when I had to leave her alone, I just knew I never wanted to do that ever again. I-" he caught himself from crying, unable to finish his sentence.

I smiled and nodded my head. "I understand Papa."

"I wish she could have seen you grow up."

"That's so cliche of you," I joked, making him give me a sad smile. "But you are right. I'd love for her to attend my wedding, but I suppose that's not an option either way."

"What do you remember of her?"

"I remember her patience. I was always trying her, desperate to make her angry somehow but she never did. She found a way to give me logic behind a problem. It's something I've tried to implement into my current life. Never get angry quickly, always think rationally. I can say that God has made that particularly difficult. I am so quick to anger, it's unfortunate really."

We both chuckled. I rested my head on his shoulder, glancing up to see a young man a few rows down also looking at a grave. He was attractive, slim and tall.

When Papa noticed him, he began to guide us back to the carriage. Our visit had been cut short by another individual. Did he know him? Or did Papa just long for privacy and having another there did not grant that? I went to ask, but his expression said otherwise.

The carriage ride was bumpier than usual. It made my stomach turn and for a moment I contemplated asking the driver to stop so I could collect myself. We arrived to our home but Papa left for work the second I stepped out of the carriage.

I tsked at him and walked towards the large house. It was white, with columns designed after Ancient Greece. Papa loved history and when picking our home he wanted the architecture to reflect that. Our maid greeted me at the door, holding an arm out to collect my coat which I shed as soon as the fire could be felt.