Chapter 13: Caress

Steve Rogers

Captain America

"Jade," I called, gently shaking her shoulders "Jade wake up." Bruce began checking her pulse. "Bruce? What's wrong with her? Is she okay?" Bruce holds a hand up, halting my questions "She was just over stressed. But she's also endured a lot I'm sure. So stuff like this is hard for her mind to wrap around."

I look at Jades unconscious body that lay on the sofa "You guys don't even know. She's been through hell and worse. If you only knew how brave she really is, how much she fights everyday just to get out of bed."

Thors voice boomed through the room "My brother worries over her. He fears for her health. Both mental and physical." I took Jades fragile looking hand in my own as I spoke "Loki has a plan. She may not agree to it."

Bruce sighs, standing up "Don't add extra stress to her right now. When she wakes up, take her to her room to rest. I think she'll be fine." I stroke her hair gently as everyone heads off to their rooms. Bucky stayed behind to talk to me.

"I hate to say it Steve. But it's gonna be a long time before she's 'fine'." I clench my fists and look away. I knew Bucky was right. "I spoke to her father. He told me a small fraction of what happened and I'm still amazed she's lived this long. I wasn't there to protect her Buck. And now look at her. She's broken."

Bucky sighed, rubbing the back of his neck "Hydra is cruel Steve. Just be thankful they didn't brain wash her." I stroke the top of Jades hand with the pad of my thumb as words choked my throat "They tried. They didn't have enough time for it to effect her very much. Bucky, she doesn't remember Spencer."

Bucky frowned "How'd you find out?" I remembered her face when she said she didn't know anyone named Spencer. "I asked. She didn't remember. Her father doesn't push her to remember because of how fragile her condition is."

Bucky crossed his arms "What about her mother? Is she in the picture?" I shrug, not knowing the answer. "I don't know. Loki and Jade never speak of her." Bucky patted my back and said softly "She'll pull through Steve. She just needs you to help her." With that he went off to his room without another word.

I looked back to Jade and lifted her sleeve slightly. Scars lined every open area of skin. Hydra will pay. Jade began to stir, I gently pulled her sleeve down and stroke her hair gently

She say straight upright with fear woven into her features "No!!! Steve!!!" It broke my heart to see her like this. "It's okay. It's okay." I said gently. Jade locked eyes with me. They were filled with confusion and fear.

"Steve?" she questioned. I nodded, taking her hand "Yeah Jade." Jade was breathing unevenly "You're real?" I gave a small sad smile as tears brimmed my eyes "Yeah. It's me." She flung her arms around me and buried her face in my neck. "Oh Steve." I caressed her back gently as she sobbed into me. "Shhhh Jade. It's alright. You're here now. You're safe."

Jade pulled away slightly so she could see my face as tears ran down her face "I missed you so much Steve. So much." Tears continued to brim my eyes as I replied "I missed you more." Jade stroked the side of my face gently with her cool hands "Not even possible." Then..... she kissed me.