Chapter 7

Effie spent the next few years becoming the cold Capitol citizen that District 12 would grow to hate. She couldn't express her emotions and get attached to the tributes because when they died it would break her. She didn't know how the other escorts did it. How they were just so calm and composed and happy? She almost felt everything the tributes felt and each death broke her heart a little more. The only person who could mend her fragmented heart was Haymitch, and she couldn't even be with him because the Capitol would never allow it. Effie was 22 and Haymitch was 25. They spent every waking moment during the games together and were so in love that no one could really keep them apart. However it was getting tougher and tougher to be together, everything they did was now watched thanks to new technology, so it meant they had to be completely offish to one another. No kissing or hugging. The only time they could spend alone was just before the reaping in District 12. The cameras were just in the Capitol. There were none in any of the victors houses, including Haymitch's.
It was the 60th games this year and Effie had just got off the train and was met by an eager, almost nervous looking Haymitch, which was unusual. An unexpected change from his normally arrogant and mocking attitude. "Hi." Effie glanced down at her feet, she hadn't seen him for a good eleven months and was a little shy. "Oh um hi. So how have you been?" She looked up now, her cheeks red and flushed with embarrassment. "Not great, I don't exactly have much to do when you aren't around, apart from drink and wallow in my own despair. Do you want to go to mine?" Haymitch said. "Yes, of course." Effie replied happily. They reached Haymitch's front door and Effie exclaimed, "I'm going to go and change out of this garish clothing and into something more flattering." And with that she rushed up the stairs and went into Haymitch's room, laying out some nice clothing on the bed. She chose a turquoise dress that had a Peter Pan collar and pockets. She slipped on black tights and delicate blue flats, and removed her eccentric wig that made her head itchy. Her glossy blonde locks tumbled down her back in perfect curls. Using a makeup wipe or two she removed the white face paint and powder and bold eyeshadow in exchange for subtle brown tones and thin eyeliner with a coral lipstick. After about 15 mins she eventually came down stairs to find Haymitch in the living area. "Effie, you look amazing." He said. " I need to ask you a question." "Yes?" She said, slightly nervous. "I know we are young, but I feel like I have known you forever, but you are good for me and I'm good for you. We distract each other from the bad things on life, and I want to ask you if you will share a toasting with me and become my wife?" Effie gasped. A toasting was very serious in district twelve, it was the thing that confirmed a marriage, and even though herself and Haymitch could not be officially married this would be good enough, if not better. No one in District twelve felt married until they did the toasting. "Yes." She whispered. "Let's do it now." Haymitch said taking her small hand in his and leading her out the front door. They held hands and crossed the threshold of the house and sat down toasting bread in the fire, laughing and feeling wonderful. Haymitch then carried her up the stairs bridal style, ignoring Effie's unimpressed squeals and protests. He dropped her onto the bed and placed his lips on hers. She responded, moving her lips in perfect sync with his.