Prologue

((Amber Pines on the side or up))

"No!" I groan, glaring at the hanging app on my phone, "You always do this!" I shout at the device.

I press on the Home button, it immediately bringing me back to my home screen.

"Stupid app," I mutter.

My phone then vibrates in my hands, indicating that I've received a text.

It was from Harley.

She was my only friend at the moment. The only girl I bothered to make friends with.

I mean, why need friends when I can make friends with random strangers, online?

Harley: Come over.

Me: Any particular reason? I'm busy.

Harley: With what? You can't just spend your weekend at home!

Me: Fine.

She's evil, I tell you. She knows I'd rather spend my weekend here.

I slump my shoulders, groaning. Who does she think she is? Telling me what to do?! Then again... I did agree to this.

People make mistakes.

***

I ring the doorbell, patiently waiting for anyone to open up. Normally I wouldn't be so patient, but something was wrong today, I'm sure.

My toes curled on the spot when the door opens. Travis stands in front of me, giving me a smile that was sweeter than candy.

Travis was Harley's brother, but I've secretly been crushing on him for years now.

"Hey Amber, what brings you to our humble abode?"

"Stop being fancy and let me in," I roll my eyes, a hand on my hip.

"Fine, I knew you weren't here for me anyway. Harley's by the pool."

"Thank you," I walk passed him, into the house. I've been here countless of times, so I knew my way around already.

I walked into their backyard, where they had their pool. These people were rich, I tell you. I'm pretty sure their family was the tenth richest in our country.

But then again, I never paid attention in school, so I'm not sure.

I see Harley making herself comfortable on a tanning bed. She had sunglasses in front of her eyes, and she was wearing a zebra print bikini.

She was completely oblivious that I was here, so I walk up to her, shoving her off the tanning bed. She screams, before landing on the cold hard ground.

Sorry, I just liked quoting Taylor Swift. But seriously, the ground was warm and grassy. It was summer after all.

"What's wrong with you?" Harley complains, getting up to stand on her legs.

"I just wanted to let you know I was here," I shrug.

"Let me know you were here? You didn't have to do that! You could've--- forget it," she rolls her eyes. "Anyway, I wanted to tell you something."

"You could've told me on the phone! I didn't have to come all the way here," I whine.

"Hush," she glares. "I'm leaving town for two weeks. Evan's family just bought a beach resort, so I'm going to spend time with him there."