synopsis

if you asked aoife mcnulty about herself, she'd tell you the basics

yes im foreign, im irish. duh.
no that's not how you say my name.
of course i'm a slytherin.
i'm 5'2 on a good day.
oh hey want a smoke?

yeah, the basics.
the only person who has ever come close to scratching the surface and cracking the code of aoife was her uncle, brendan.

aoife lived in cork with her mam and da from before she can remember, up until she was 14.
although, to her, they didn't deserve those titles.
they were not parents.
i mean, why have kids if you don't want them?

things were okay until she reached around 7, she was an intelligent girl, mature for her age.
her parents never really tried to make a connection with her no matter how hard she tried to form a relationship with them.
they fed her and that was that.
but as she got older, her parents grew resentful towards her.
"you were a mistake"
"useless"
harsh words and sneers sent her way everyday, no reasoning behind it,
then it got violent.

by the time she reached 10, bruises and scars were nothing new to her. she often found herself peering at her body in her large mirror, tracing her scars and cuts, bruises and bumps, finding constellations patterned across her legs and arms, even drawing over them to make herself feel better.

she was so young.

nothing changed.
a month or two after her 14th birthday, she really can't recall, it's a blur - her parents died.
a car crash.
died upon impact they said.
she should have been upset. she should have been mourning the loss of her parents. but they weren't really her parents, were they?
they didn't deserve her pity, even a glimmer of sadness from her.

things honestly seemed to only go uphill from then on.
she was shipped off to new york to live with her uncle.
she honestly felt really bad.
she knew he had found his soulmate and was happy.
she had been told she was a burden her whole life, she didn't want to impose on his happy perfect life.
brendan however was ecstatic, he adored his niece.
upon hearing what was going on back home in cork while he was across the world, he was so miserable.
he wished he could have helped her, but was just glad to be able to take her under his wing now.

4 years later thing have changed, aoife had matured - now 18, she's in her final year or her posh private school.

she had never put much thought in to meeting her soulmates, plural, never dwells on it and just decides that when it happens it happens.
sooner or later it will happen.

oh, how she wished she was more prepared for how much sooner it would be.