Chapter 7: Bass

Edited May 2021

Luke walked silently into the music room, being cautious to not make a sound as he shut the door. Calum was right where Luke thought he would be, sitting in one of the chairs with a bass guitar in his lap, strumming away as he listened to something on a pair of bulky headphones.

Luke took a seat behind him, just listening to the bassline that Calum was steadily producing. It was smooth and rhythmic and his fingers plucked at the strings with a natural elegance. Luke sat there and nodded along until the song finished and Calum pulled the headphones off.

"You're just as talented as I remember."

"Jesus!" Calum turned around quickly, almost dropping the bass. "What the fuck is wrong with you, hemmings?" Calum shook his head.

"I need your assistance." Luke said

"No thanks," Calum rolled his eyes as he dropped the guitar on the stand. Luke pulled something out of his pocket and threw it at the other boy. Calum caught it reflexively. When he looked down at the rock, his face dropped.

"You owe me," Luke said. Calum sighed, flipping the small stone in his hand a few times.

"That was a long time ago."

"Promises don't have an expiration date. I helped you cover when you crashed your moms car, now you need to help me with my own car crash."

"Literal or metaphorical?" Calum raised an eyebrow.

"Metaphorical. I'm creating somewhat of a band. I have a drummer and a singer and I need a bass player. We're trying to destroy our labels."

"I don't have a label."

"Fuckboy."

"Dammit." Calum sighed, looking down at the bass guitar he just put down.

"You're not a fuckboy, Cal. You fuck a lot, but you're not a fuckboy," Luke stepped closer and gestured to the rock. "You owe me." Calum was silent for a long second as he stared at the rock, before he sighed and threw his head back with a groan.

"Who's the drummer?" Calum asked with a relenting sigh, dropping back down into his seat.

"Ashton."

"Irwin? The dude in chicks clothing?" Calum's eyebrows furrowed and Luke's eyes narrowed.

"Ashton's gender fluid."

"What's that?"

"Ashtons gender switches between male and female, I can't speak for her but I know that it changes."

"Who's the singer?"

"Michael Clifford. Hopefully."

"The virgin?"

"This is exactly what I'm trying to stop, Cal," Luke said, throwing his hands up. "We all know each other solely based on our labels and that sucks. When I mentioned you to Ashton she said 'the fuckboy?'. I don't want to be known as the 'whores son' I just want to be Luke."

"This is all very Disney Channel Original Movie of you Luke."

"Just be the Stella to my Olivia please."

"Technically you'd be Stella and I'd be Charlie."

"Why do you even know that, you nerd," Luke smiled and teasingly punched Calum's shoulder. Calum rolled his eyes, still flipping the stone in his hand.

"Fine, I'll do it. But only because I'm bored."

"That's all I can ask man. Come by my house Saturday around 2."