iv.

divination;

I got up and dressed quickly to run down to breakfast before anyone could stop me. I didn't want to talk to Justin today after what the girls said last night. I just wanted a peaceful day. I got down to the Great Hall and grabbed two pieces of toast but when I turned around to leave, I bumped into someone, knocking me over.

"What's got you in a hurry?"

It was Justin. Of course it was Justin. The only person I didn't want to see right now.

"Just energetic today I guess." I hated lying.

"Well come on, lets have breakfast." Nodding over to our table which Leanne and Hannah were conveniently sitting at. I hadn't realized they had walked past. 

He stuck out his hand for me to grab to pull me up, and I reluctantly took it.

I sighed and walked over to our table that had both Hannah and Leanne trying to suppress their giggles. I glared at them and that only made them laugh harder.

I sat down and just picked at my food while the table started filling up. I didn't say a word throughout breakfast and I was trying mentally prepare myself for the load of rubbish we going to learn in Divination today.

Breakfast ended and we slowly walked to Charms.

The day went by fast. Too fast for my liking. Our last class was Divination and as soon as I walked in the faint smell of tea lingered, and immediately felt tired.

I sat down with Ernie and Professor Trelawney started talking about starting a tea reading unit. She told us to drink the tea in front of us, swirl the cup three times, and interpret what we see.

I saw two obvious symbols; lovers and lace.

I opened my book and started looking for the symbols.

"Lovers; This acknowledges that a particular person will try to make a romantic gesture. The demands in your life, your emotional heart, zealous spirit, may feel incredibly drawn to this particular person. However, you recognize it will come at a price."

"May I see your cup dear?" Trelawney asked.

"Lace; As a symbol, it represents peace in family life, marriage, or happiness. So if you see lace in your teacup, depending on your marital status, you are destined for happiness. You will definitely find a lover who is serious to settle down with you."

Trelawney shook my shoulder and I looked up to her big beady eyes. I realized the entire class was staring at me so I handed her my cup.

That was a mistake. So much for a peaceful day.

She read it. The entire thing. Out loud. 

"My dear, this is definitely something you should not take lightly. Lace is incredibly, uncommonly, rare. And yet, Mr. Nott over here has it as well." She said, gesturing to Theodore.

My head shot up, eyes wide, and my face flushed bright red. I looked over at him just to see he was in the same state I was.

I wanted it to be real. I really did. I didn't believe in Divination but I wish I did. I mean, come on, 'incredibly, uncommonly rare'? That has to mean something.

Or maybe it didn't.

No, this is Divination we're talking about. Just a bunch of guessing. There's no real proof that it's rare. Maybe it's common and people just don't see it. I'm only thirteen, a tea cup with tea leaves that happened to look like lace isn't going to define the outcome of my life. When has any of these things actually become a reality? A thirteen year old girl who has a stupid crush on a thirteen year old boy. 

It's not going to happen.

It can't.

It's ridiculous. It just happened to be me and it just happened to be him.

It's not real.

The bell rang and I have never ran out of a class so fast in my entire life.

I got to the common room and sat down on one of my favorite chairs since no one else was here yet. I felt someone sit down next to me and I prayed it wasn't Justin.

"I, uh, heard what happened in Divination," 

I looked over and saw Susan sitting next to me.

"Yeah. It's my favorite class right now. It's spectacular." I said.

She giggled. "Yeah, super factual."

I laughed.

We sat in silence for a while, it was comfortable silence though. Once she realized I wasn't going to say anything, she spoke up.

"Listen, if I were you I wouldn't think on it too much. It's Divination. It's not like any of that's real."

"And that's exactly the problem. I don't want it to be fake." I muttered, hoping she didn't hear it.

She looked at me like I was crazy.

"Sorry? Did you really just- did you just say you wanted it to be real? Wait, hold on-"

"Yeah I did. Sorry I really can't help being attracted to someone; it's human nature, Susan"

"Yeah but, he's a Slytherin?" She said like that solved everything.

"So?" I said standing up.

"So?!" She said standing up as well. "Come on Riley, I thought you had standards. His best mates are the guys who have been tormenting us for the past three years!"

"That doesn't mean anything! Come on, when has he ever said anything rude to any of us?"

"Never, but he sure hasn't said anything nice to us either. He helps the oppressor Riley!"

"Does not!"

"Does too!"

"Well what do you want me to do, just stop liking him? Oh brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that?!" I said sarcastically.

"Well-"

"No, you don't get it do you. He clearly doesn't feel the same way I feel about him. And that's the part that hurts. It's not that he's in a different house, or that he 'helps the oppressor' it's that he doesn't return those feelings! But you don't get that do you? You don't know what that feels like."

And with that I went up to the dorms and stayed there for the rest of the day. I missed dinner, and when it was time to go to bed, no one said a word.