Chapter 7

Oliver

We had seen their parliament buildings, their gardens, their maps and their troves of jewels. Ildova was certainly a country that would benefit us greatly through alliance. Addison was certainly a force to be reckoned with. The night I had seen her gazing up to the moon from a window on the third floor of the palace, I had seen the real her. A girl just looking for some room to breathe. The next few days she was on edge and spent most of it locked in her offices with that bulldog of a personal assistant. No one knew why. Preparations had begun for Christmas, many parties and events were to be held through the beginning of the month, culminating in a rather large ball on the 23rd, the day before we left. We would be home to spend Christmas day in Heliana with our parents. By then Addison and Ren would be engaged and I would no longer be playing chaperone to my monstrous brother.

"I'm bored of this" Ren said over his fruit salad at the lunch table "I'm bored of waiting around here wooing the Queen Mother and making trade deals"

"you know that's what being king is about right?" I couldn't believe him "you've come all this way in the hope of bringing back a bride and you barely talk to her"

"you're not much better"

"I'm not the one who has to marry her" I pushed my chair back from the table "admit it Ren you could do worse"

"she's a child, she's to far up her own backside to get anything done and she's just rude"

"are we talking about you or her right now?"

"just get out Oliver, you're no help" he rested his hands on the table "don't bother coming to the meeting with the Ambassador later"

"fine then I won't" I stalked from the room slamming the door behind me for good measure. he really was a stubborn prick. I walked quickly down the halls that I had come accustomed to on my midnight strolls. It was too cold to sleep anyway. I reached the great hall where all the main staircases met and sat on the edge of the bottom step of the centre stair sat Addison putting on her shoes. But it wasn't the Addison I had become familiar with. She wore a dark green dress, the colour so deep it was almost black. Her long hair sleek in a ponytail gathered to the back of her head. An embellished silver slide is pattern of the night sky adorned the side of her head and the ever-constant sliver pendant swung from her neck. I just stood and watched her. She looked younger, but older at the same time. Elegant. She looked up and saw me staring from across the hall.

"I do believe, your highness" she leaned back on to the steps behind her, the skirt of the dress fanning out around her like a blanket "that it is bad practice to stare"

"who's the lucky guy?"

"there isn't one, unfortunately" She laughed, leaning over once more to finish tying up the pair of silver heel son her feet. Before I knew what I was doing my feet were moving towards her.

"allow me" I said bending down, to tie a bow with the silver strings around her ankles. Her green eyes made larger by the silver lining around them watched me. She made a slight jump when my fingers touched her but didn't pull away.

"I'm intrigued to know how you have the skills to do that, but I think it would be improper to ask" she laughed as I finished tying the shoes.

"where are you going?"

"Parliament" she sighed "they finish today for the holidays. It is my Christmas gift to grace them with my presence and scare the shit out of them"

"how Queen like" I said, offering her a hand up. She placed both her warm hands into mine and stood, but I didn't move back. We stood for just a moment almost nose to nose.

"I should go" she said, not breaking the contact with my eye. Vanilla and something citrus filled my nose.

"yes" I said. Her hands tightened around mine. The sound of someone clearing their throat brought me back to reality. Wood, the guard who had almost collapsed on the floor the day I arrived was standing at the other end of the hall in full dress uniform.

"we're ready for you, Your Majesty" he choked.

"yes" she nodded to me politely and then began to walk towards him, the sound of her shoes rattling along the floor "Oliver" she turned.

"yes"

"would you like to come?" a devilish smile spread across her ruby red lips.

"need a partner to wreak havoc?" I slid my hands into my pockets.

"it's always more fun with two" it was clear to see the guard was about to be sick, but I walked to her.

"I fear, my lady" I said taking my place at her side "that it would be improper to ask what you mean". She threw her head back; her laughter rang through the halls. The guard just stood his face stony. Unimpressed.