sixteen

~Elle~

This was it. The day of the carnival was here. I longed for my plan to come together, for nothing to go wrong. With Vivian's help, I was sure it would work. I watched on from the sidelines, hoping and praying nobody caught a glimpse of me. My phone vibrated and I knew it was time.

Vivian- Everyone make their way to the South of the Pier next to the arcade, there's a surprise waiting on the outdoor screen.

My face lit up when I saw Lee from the distance, his hand wrapped in Rachel's. They were so in love. The kind of love you see in the movies. The kind everyone craves. The kind that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

A crowd started to form around Vivian; Ollie and Myles, the OMGs, Tuppen, and even Noah, who had clearly been playing third wheel to Lee and Rachel. I can't lie when I say I felt sad at the sight of him, that I never tried to fix what we once had.

"So, I bet you're all wondering what you're doing here, right?" Vivian shouted, she was trying so hard to conceal her happiness, but I could tell it was there. Before I had the chance to look to my friends from behind one of the stalls, Vivian had already pressed play on the remote.

Hey everyone, from England. I hope you're all having the best time, I wish I could be there.

I watched on as Marco appeared in the crowd, thanks to my persuasion. He looked down, his expression dulled, and his body language said he'd rather be anywhere else, but he was there, and that's all that I wanted.

Lee, my bestie. I miss you so much. Rachel, I hope you have given him a big hug from me. I know you guys wanted a kissing booth, just as much as I did. I'm sorry I couldn't deliver that in person. But I hosted one here in England, and I think you guys are going to love it.

The cheers from the crowd filled the air, as people took to the stage one-by-one. I couldn't believe my classmates were getting so invested into something on the other side of the world, even if it was heartwarming watching two of my close friends fall in love.

I hope you guys loved that as much as I did. Happy belated Thanksgiving, and enjoy the carnival, see you all soon.

The screen went blank, Lee looked disheartened, and Noah? Well he looked like a lost puppy. I made my way to the South of the pier, where the surprise was waiting. The screen started buffering, and people were getting impatient.

"So sorry guys, we seem to be having some technical difficulties here. One second." Vivian announced, pretending to press buttons on her laptop.

I heard gasps and squeals as an empty kissing booth stand appeared on the screen. I moved the video camera around to show the sign for Santa Monica Pier.

"Surprise." I yelled, as I flipped the camera to me.
"You didn't think I'd really let you guys have a carnival without the kissing booth, did you?"
"Lee, get your ass to the stand, I can't host without you. Everyone else, buy your tickets off Vivian, and make your way to the kissing booth. Happy kissing!"

I'd really pulled it off, I wish I could've seen the look on Lee's face, actually I wish I could've seen everyone's faces. I knew how much this meant to them all. It was the one thing that brought us all together, no matter our differences, and that was the most beautiful thing.

Waiting for Lee to arrive felt like forever. When I saw him, I couldn't help but run to him. It felt like a lifetime since I saw him last, when it was only a few weeks. Somehow, no matter how much time had passed, it felt like we'd never been apart, that's what I loved the most about our friendship.