CHAPTER 5

Cc: Sports vs. Playing Cards.

VALYRA.

The people were literally doing nothing and just staring at us.Were we dressed weird? Did we obviously not belong? Or... am I missing something?

"Nik," I whispered. "What's up with the stares?"

He grabbed me by the shoulders and laughed nonchalantly. "Just ignore them.They probably got surprised at how good we look."

My goodness, Nik... You've kinda changed...

He led us to an empty area with a volleyball net and some adjustable benches and umbrellas nearby. "Make yourselves at home," he said, "I just need to make a call."

"What call?" Maddie mused aloud. She whipped towards me, suddenly panicked. "You don't think he has a girlfriend here, do you?"

She looked like a child afraid that she's done something for her parents to cancel ice cream night or something. I couldn't help but laugh lightly.

"Valyra! A little help?"

I quickly jogged to Kelly and helped her out with the things. The beach bags were already organized on one bench and the huge beach towel was on the sand, held down by Ryan and Alex who were sprawled out playing arm wrestling.

Come to think of it... Alex never talked about what he wanted to do after high school...

"Alex!"

Nik called Alex and they exchanged some words. I didn't know what they were talking about but it looked really serious. Strange, because I didn't know Nik and Alex were bros kind of close...I thought they just got along well whenever they saw each other or something and jung out and stuff. Not whatever this thing is that painted serious looks that rubbed me a weird way.

Kelly and I finished what we were doing and, with Maddie, we proceeded to the snack bar and bought ourselves some drinks.

"Three glasses of orange juice?" the waiter asked.

"And a breakfast special!" I quipped. "Five large pancakes with maple syrup, a bowl of fruits, and a bowl of oatmeal, right?"

Nik texted me in the middle of our eating and chatting, saying we had to go back soon so that we could make use of the volleyball net.

"Don't you find it weird that Nik suddenly plays volleyball?" Kelly casually asked us. "He used to say he wasn't a good volleyball, tennis, or badminton player and would rather if he wasn't included in those specific sports."

Nik and the boys were now stretching. Their faces lacked any amusement or mirth and their gazes were cast down like they were focusing on stretching their muscles into the precise condition they wanted.

"Why are you smirking?" Kelly asked me. As usual, her eyes were still icy, but her eyebrows did the talking.

"Huh?"

"Yeah, girl," Maddie grinned, as she looked around. "You smirked after seeing the boys."

"Oh, did I?" The boys looked silly being so serious about this, but who was I to be judgmental? "Why are they so serious?"

Maddie shrugged. "Maybe they wanna impress some girls?"

Kelly and I exchanged glances. She seemed to be so calm. Isn't she after NIk?

Okay?

"Come on."

But, man, Maddie looked different-- cold and serious. She was just smiling earlier. What happened?