Chapter Nine

The first thing that strikes me when the door closes behind us is the delicious smell emanating from the kitchen. A scent of cinnamon and cooked apples rushes through my nostrils, and I immediately associate it with America; a sweet, soothing, reassuring scent. Lost for a few seconds in my thoughts, reality reminds me when I become aware of the pairs of eyes staring at me: May, her fingers smeared with paint, a brush stuck in the high bun she is wearing, then Mrs Singer, who smiles broadly at me, and behind her, little Gerad who seems to be greatly intimidated by my presence.

- Good evening, I simply say. I am happy to finally discover the house that America has told me so much about.

- It must seem very modest to you, compared to the palace, Your Majesty, America's mother said.

- Please, dear lady, call me by my first name. And if the palace is an accumulation of shiny and sumptuous things, I find your home of a different kind of beauty. You feel at home here. 

She blushes, flattered, then turns to her daughter to hug her, while I stoop to Gerad's height to greet the youngest of the siblings.

- Do you like to play ball? he asks me straight away, his initial shyness completely gone.

- I rarely get the chance, I replied, amused. But I like riding horses very much; have you ever been on one?

- No, he muttered, frowning.

- I could teach you if you want, I suggested.

If I can find the time, my conscience mocks me.

- Have you ever kissed my sister? he asks me outright.

I almost choke; he has a way of moving on rather abruptly, I must say.

- Um... Well, knowing that she is my fiancée, it is something that is done, yes, I replied, vaguely embarrassed.

And even more so, I thought with an inner sneer. I cannot believe how fearless this child can be when he seemed so intimidated by my presence just a few moments ago.

- Mummy! he suddenly shouted. The man kissed Meri!

America glares at me full of questions and amusement from the other end of the living room, where she was chatting with her sister, while Mrs Singer tries to calm her son, who in the meantime has started to gesticulate all over the living room.

- I leave you alone for a few moments, Mr Schreave, and you are already perverting the younger ones? America teases me.

- My most vile inclinations come out despite myself, I confess, I replied, falsely embarrassed.

She laughed heartily, and then came a little closer to me to place her lips on mine in a tender kiss. Lost in the softness of her lips, I hear a muffled murmur that brings us back to reality. May does not seem to hold still when she sees her sister kissing me. I refrain from rolling my eyes; I hope that people will get used to seeing us together because I do not intend to stop showing the world that she agreed to become mine just for the sake of their beautiful eyes.

- I didn't know you had other nicknames, I asked as I sat down beside her on the sofa.

- The possibilities are endless, May laughs as she sits on the chair in front of us. But Meri is Gerad's; he is called her that since he learned to speak.

- Yes, he could not pronounce my name correctly," laughs America softly. So Meri stayed, just like Mer, Ames, or Amy.

- I love Meri very much, I said, taking her hand in mine.

- If it will stop you from calling me "My Dear", I guess I will find a way to convince Gerad to lend it to you.

- Oh, do not count on it, my dear, I warn her.