Chapter 5 - Sweet and Sour

Tuesday 16th December (2014)
After parents evening I thought non stop about Mr Carter, the fact I made him the 'perfect' coffee, the chippy offer and how we had such a good relationship considering he was my teacher (not exactly professional).

Anyway, it was the same sort of lessons for the next few weeks, extra revision was still going strong but I switched between Mr Carter and Mr Travis because I wanted to keep my crush on the down low - you know I don't want to look like a creepy student that has a crush on her teacher, it's such a cliché.

I walked in for the lesson and I could tell something was wrong with Mr Carter because he didn't come to the door to greet us as usual, he just sat at his desk and gestured for us to come in with his. As I walked in I saw a seating plan on the board, looking for my name, I found it on the desk directly in front of his... I mean I know I was struggling with maths but nobody uses this seat why has he sat me here?

I took my seat and said hi, and without looking up he just grunted. Rude

"Are you okay Sir?" I asked concerned.

"Hi, y-yeah... Sorry Taylor" he said whilst looking up and giving me a sincere smile.

"Find your seats everyone, I thought it would be good to have a change and see if it's more effective. If you're not happy with where i've put you... tough." Mr Carter bluntly said as he flopped back in his seat and sighed.

Okay something is definitely wrong with this man.

Half way through the lesson, scared to say a word, I had to ask him if I could miss extra revision this week but i'd come on Thursday instead so i'd still be doing work.

"What? Ermm yeah... I'll see you Thursday. It's actually better if i'm being honest with you, I think you need some one-on-one with this algebra." He replied distracted but still caring.

———————————————————

Thursday 18th December
I could tell Christmas was round the corner as it was trying to snow. It was pathetic, but it was snow. Obviously for an excuse to go home, the school announce that any extra curricular will be cancelled to get everyone off the site due to 'weather conditions'. Clearly very excited about the snow. But then I remember - Mr Carter's revision. It was meant to be after school.

I figured to go with the school rules and it go to Mr Carter's extra revision session, although I really wanted to even though he was in a foul mood, I didn't want to look odd going against the school - he would definitely become suspicious then. So I went home and had a cup of tea with my Mum, telling her about how moody he was today.

"He's probably having a bad week or something, maybe he's had an argument with his partner. He is human Philippa, I wouldn't worry so much..." She reassured me.

——————————————————
Friday 19th December (2014)
The same as Tuesday. He didn't greet us at the door, he just sat there. What is wrong with him? I started to actually worry about it.

From our growing relationship, I thought i'd be able to sort of cheer him up or at least make him laugh. I gave him a sincere smile and mouthed 'are you okay?' from across the desk as his head peered from out behind the computer. However, I didn't get the reaction I was expecting. 'Stay at the end." he mouthed back with a face of disappointment and slight anger. Clearly he was still in a bad mood, i didn't know he had this side to him, and to be honest it put me off a little bit.

Butterflies was an understatement. You could literally cut the tension with a knife, yet nobody could feel it but me. I was so apprehensive about what he wanted to keep me behind for. I started running through everything i'd done wrong recently. I just waited, and waited, and waited.

Until the lesson finished and he shut the door, coming straight back to his desk and putting his hands on the table before lowering himself to the chair.

"Where were you yesterday, I thought you wanted extra revision so i waited behind?" He whispered bluntly, clearly offended.

"We got told to go home, the school said there was no extra curricular? I'm sorry I didn't know you still wanted me to come." I answered with a kind tone, completely unaware he waited for me.

"This wasn't authorised as extra curricular Miss Taylor." still sounded blunt and slightly annoyed.

"I know, I guess I thought if I asked if it was still on you'd think i was pestering you, and you didn't really seem up for up so I thought i'd just leave you be." I replied honestly.

"Awe okay, I didn't know that's how you felt. Just so you know, you could never annoy me Taylor... oh, and don't worry about me it's nothing I can't handle, as long as you're okay that's one less thing for me to worry about." he laughed nervously.

"Thank you Sir, I hope everything's okay... i'll see you on Monday." i nervously replied.

"My pleasure Philippa, see you Monday."

Oh my good gosh. He did not just say that. Forget what I said before - I am not put off at all. If anything, the independent, caring, selfless Mr Carter has got me even more smitten. Just wait till I tell my Mum and the girls.