Chapter 10 - Open Evening

Thursday 15th October (2015)
I was based in maths for the open evening, stuck with him. Again not knowing if it's good or bad. I made a conscious effort to avoid his room, just knowing how awkward it would be. So I stayed within the over 6 or 7 classrooms, each had a different activity or topic of maths. It was the most anticlimactic activity in each room, it was stuff like Jenga, Countdown, a Rubik's cube... like how has that got anything to do with what you actually do in maths. However, I suppose we were trying to sell the school to parents so I just needed to bite my tongue.

As i'm avoiding his room, minding my own business, Mr Travis left the room to direct parents over to the History department. Just as I had a minute to myself with no one pestering me, I heard the footsteps, the sliding feet (clearly too tired to pick his feet up), and knowing it was him I spun round on my heel to see his face looking right back at me. With a glimmer of hope, I smiled. But he readjusted himself and his face turned back to a scowl.

"Taylor...? What are you doing here?" He questioned me with a laugh. Confusing much.

"Mr Travis said I should help out since i'm in the leadership team." I replied bluntly, already annoyed at his ambiguous comment.

"Oh I see, you must be enjoying his lessons then huh?" He replied curiously but cool.

The jealousy is back. I knew it wouldn't last long before he asked.

"He's nice, but your lessons were better by a mile. Trust me." I said trying to get his wall back down.

"Why did you leave then? I'll tell you Taylor, our relationship has gone from here to here..." He said whilst gesturing with his hand that our relationship has plummeted since I left.

"You know exactly why I left, stop playing stupid Sir... it wasn't my fault our relationship plummeted as you've just shown me, I couldn't be in your lessons anymore so I simply had to remove myself." I argued my point once again.

"I never understood why you felt you had the need to leave my lessons, I mean you were great in my lessons, you had good grades..."

"Sir, i'm not even answering that because you can do that yourself. I couldn't concentrate, and I began to slip away from working."

"Why couldn't you concentrate?" He whispered.

"I think you know." I whispered back.

Mr Travis walked back into the room, just as our conversation was getting somewhere - god i'd missed that.

"Catching up are we?" He smiled as we both looked at each other, both knowing this conversation was to be continued...

——————————————————
Friday 16th October (2015)
Second night of open evening. I am absolutely knackered let me tell you. I could not stop thinking about last night... where was that conversation going? I obviously told the girls,
but I realised that I'd not told my Mum anything in a while. I think I was worried about what her reaction would be. It's not like I'm saying i've got a schoolgirl crush anymore.

So, Nancy and I were about to go and give our first tour to a family. As we came out of the main hall after the talk, we asked the little girl what her favourite subject was.

"Maths!" The little girl squealed as her older brother trailed behind her.

I smirked at Nancy, knowing full well what we were both thinking. To make it less obvious, I went into Mr Travis' room. However, to my surprise Mr Carter was in there. As I went in, I said to the girl,

"Okay, so the man over there is Mr Travis and this is Mr Carter, there both amazing teachers."

"She forgot to say that we're the best..." Mr Carter added on, making everyone laugh.

As Mr Carter started speaking to the little girl and her brother, I looked over at Nancy and pulled the 'awww' face from how cute he was being with them - and I mean cute. He then looked over at me and said,

"Taylor, there's lollies over there if you want one."

"Ooo I don't mind if I do, thank you very much." I replied with a smile on my face, realising he was finally starting to forgive.

Walking back to the table, he passed me a Rubik's Cube asking me to have a go. Good god I have never been able to complete one of these, I just seem to make it worse. However, I gave it a go nonetheless, but due to being on a tight schedule I had to cut it short and take the family back to the main hall. As I was walking back I heard my name.

"Nice to see you again, Philippa." He said with a sincere smile.

"You too Sir, i'll probably see you later...bye." I replied grinning like the cheshire cat, clearly happy from the fact things were finally getting back to normal.

Talking to Billie about what happened, she was so shocked that she wanted to see it. So we picked up another family and made our way back to the maths department. When we got there, Billie saw the lollies and wanted to get one, but Mr Travis was sort of sat on them. And because Billie has a tiny crush on him, she didn't want to ask him for one - so that's right, I had to ask the famous Mr Travis to get off the lollies so I can have one.

We then stood over by the table chatting to the family as I saw Mr Carter making his way over once again. Starting the conversation we spoke about how Year 11 is going, and I asked him how the class is,

"I'm actually not teaching Year 11 this year, i've stayed in Year 10, it's less pressure... our old class have got a new teacher so turns out you didn't have to move anyway." He said laughing.

"I'm still happy with my decision, but i do miss our maths class... and how come you didn't tell me our class had a new teacher. " I questioned.

"Well you were being very stubborn like your brother, and the obvious fact that you ruined our relationship, as I said yesterday." He argued.

"Fair enough, however you clearly left the class because you're best friend had already left." I laughed before pointing at myself and whispering 'me'.

"Miss Taylor, I think it was Kyle Brook that caused me to leave that class, don't flatter yourself now." He replied whilst winking.

"Oh god don't even remind me about him, he's turned into a proper 'gym lad' now you know," I said with a questionable face.

As we were in the middle of a conversation Nancy walked in with Billie (i'd clearly not noticed her leaving), giving me 'of course you're in here' eyes. However, Mr Carter took back my attention as he said,

"Hey, I'm running a scheme to help students in the younger years with their maths. It's the first year I'm doing it, I wanted students from the top 2 sets to help, and you're in Travis', so if you wanted, it would be a pleasure if you helped me out. Of course it'll help your college and university applications so you can kill two birds with one stones, pardon the expr..." He waffled on before I cut him off.

"Yes Sir, of course I would love to help out. When does it start? What does it involve?" I smothered him with questions.

"Well we're actually having a meeting with everyone helping out - that includes you Taylor. It starts at 7:30am on a Wednesday, but we get breakfast so that makes up for the early start I suppose."

"Don't worry, I'll be there. I guess me doing it also makes up for the past 4 months." I said with a cheeky smile, showing him i'm sorry.

"Didn't you forget Taylor, I could never be annoyed at you..."

Oooh, smooth Carter... smooth.