Chapter 9 - Year 11

Let me catch you up to speed. The summer holidays went way too fast, I left Mr Carter's room after that chat, went home and 6 weeks later i'm back. I spent most of the summer with the girls, going out, drinking (I get it we're 15, but what teenager actually waits till the legal age?). It was like something out of Mamma Mia. I spent lots of time with my Mum, watching new series and chatting about everything.But now we're back to the grind and back to reality. However this year, I'm starting it with Mr Travis, i'm going to miss Mr Carter's lessons so much. Sometimes I think, why did I have to make that decision - and then I remember that I had too.

Thursday 10th September (2015)
Lining up outside Mr Travis' classroom ready to go in, I saw Mr Carter doing his usual routine in the morning. We got eye contact for a second and I smiled, but by that point he'd already walked away. This is going to be hell. I shouldn't even be thinking about this though, I have more important things to worry about - yet my mind always finds some way back to him. It is Mr Carter after all.

As we sit in Mr Travis' lessons, I try and take my mind off him by (wait for it), fantasising about him instead... I know I know, that is not right. I realised pretty soon. Not only that, it just wasn't the same, daydreaming in Mr Carter's lessons were fun, I had a lot to think about, but in here I'm just thinking about how long is left - it's actually painful.

"Philippa, attention please. You seem to have been daydreaming for the past 10 minutes." I snapped out of my thoughts as Mr Travis got my attention back.

I clear my throat and sit up, trying my hardest to concentrate, but his voice was just so monotone compared to Mr Carter's, there were no jokes or stories.

"Philippa, this is your last warning. I won't say it again..." He threatened as I repeated my previous actions.

I could hear shuffling from under Mr Travis' desk as I heard.

"Megan, can you go next door to Mr Carter and see if he has anymore work books? I seem to be a couple short." He asked.

As Megan got up, I couldn't help but think, 'could you not have just asked me? I'm right here, missing the hell out of him.'

As the class came to the end, we started packing up as I swung my bag over my shoulder and made my way towards the door and left. This is just not the same, I thought that if I left his class i'd be able to focus better and get these freaking grades. Turns out I was completely and utterly wrong, I couldn't concentrate because of him.

As I close the door, it opens again and Mr Travis comes out, expecting him to speak to me he just turns to the left and walks straight into Mr Carter's room - oh great they're definitely talking about me now.

————————————————

Mr Travis' POV
I had to speak to him. Why was she being so uncooperative that lesson?

"Hi mate, just wanted to ask you something about Philippa Taylor?" I asked.

"What about her?" He replied curiously.

"Well, i'm slightly worried to be honest with you, she just doesn't seem to be concentrating, I tell her time and time again, then ten minutes later I look back and she's in a world of her own again, was she like that in your lessons?" I explained.

"No mate. She was perfect last year, that doesn't seem to be like her. Have you done anything to upset her, she can be quite sensitive." He said almost irritated as he assumed I upset her.

"I've done nothing, she's just not cooperating. Did anything go on when she was in your class?" I asked wanting to get to the bottom of it.

"Anything? Like what?" He quickly replied with a confused face.

"Anything at home? At school? Is there something that could be taking her attention?" I asked concerned.

"Not that I know of. Like I said, she was perfect last year. I couldn't say a bad word about the girl."

——————————————-

Friday 9th October
The past month had been the same, the same boring lessons with Mr Travis, the same thoughts about Mr Carter, and the same level of communication between us. Nothing.

After Mr Travis told me he'd spoke to Mr Carter about my behaviour, I realised I needed to pack it in. If he finds out that i'm not enjoying the lessons, he'll think I regret my decision - which I do but there's not way on earth I'm letting him know that. So here I am, once again being the teacher's pet, and to be honest Mr Travis is actually pretty funny when he's not teaching, i'm getting on pretty well with him so far - just not in an 'I fancy
you' way.

Seeing as i'd become teachers pet, Mr Travis said I should go for the schools student leadership scheme, to help my college and university applications. So I agreed, and went for the easiest job, I am now what you would call the operating supervisor which basically means I just watch what everyone else is doing and occasionally turn up to school events. Pretty easy I know.

Half way through a lesson, Mr Travis shouts,

"Okay guys, a great opportunity for everyone in the student leadership. Opening evening is coming up next week and I want some of you to be there to help the maths department out, you'll be demonstrating some maths, talking to parents and there will be a few quizzes. It's on the 15th and 16th so I hope the majority can make it."

Oh god that means I gotta do it. Spend two nights with Mr Carter, I mean half of me is desperate to see him, but the other half of me knows that he hates me right now. I guess we'll see what happens.