Chapter 6 - Advice

Wednesday 7th January (2015)
After learning that Mr Carter can have a moody side, I decided to me more careful to make sure I didn't get on the wrong side of him, although he did said I could never annoy him. I started to fancy him more and more, and going to the extra revision became less about learning and more about seeing him. I'd make sure I had makeup on - not too much and not too little. I'd make sure I had a nice perfume on and my hair looked nice. But not only that, Billie had started crushing on Mr Travis, the other flirty maths teacher. I swear, as soon as one man gives us girl attention we swoon.

This mood, however, had been going on for quite a while now. I don't know whether it's because it was christmas and he was stressing about Luke, but then we came back after the christmas holidays and he's still not himself.

It was coming up to the end of the school day, meaning extra revision. As I sat in science, I got those familiar butterflies.

I walked into his room and nobody was there. Is it not Wednesday? I thought as I heard the shuffling of feet coming down the maths corridor - I knew it was him.

"Oh Taylor, did you form mentor not let you know? Extra revision has been moved to Thursday this week... sorry," he sounded remorseful.

"No no I wasn't told, how come it's been moved?" I asked slightly irritated at the fact i'd told my mum to pick me up in an hour.

"I tell you what, why don't you stay behind now, I mean you're already here and we missed our one-to-one before. Have a seat Miss Taylor." he said before gesturing to sit next to him at a table.

I sat down at the same time he did, but he sat down with a loud sigh - as if this is inconvenient.

"Are you okay Sir? You don't seem yourself." I asked concerned.

He just shrugged it off and started asking me about algebra (the nemesis). I didn't hear a word he said as I studied his face, the subtle grey starting to come through his temples, the thick stubble, his brown eyes glaring down at the paper whilst his lips moved when speaking, light wrinkles on his forehead and eyes showed years.

Completely unaware of my creepiness, he broke the silence. Starting with another sigh.

"I need to engage them Taylor, I need to find a way I can get control back over the lessons. I don't know what to do, I need them to pass this class but none of them are cooperating." he said implicitly asking for my advice.

"I think you need to be tougher, shout a little more, make them scared of you. Not at me though, you can't use my advice against me." I said a little flirty.

"Maybe they'd be motivated if it's something they can relate to, it's got to be something with their phones, they're all texting demons..." he said clearly not enjoying the fact he may have to include technology in his lessons.

"I mean I'm a good student right? I've not gone off the rails under your supervision, you've kept me on track. You even made me a mascot." I replied laughing.

"Yeah maybe I should use that stellar technique with the rest of the class." he said back sarcastically.

"Listen, I get some of the class are failing, but it's only the minority. You still have plenty of students that listen every lesson and are doing well - including me. Maybe spend more time on them, students with no desire to do well will not listen to what anyone has to say." I said, offering my actual advice.

"I think you're right there Miss Taylor, totally right. As long as the majority pass with good grades, i've done my job." He replied with a look of relief on his face.

"Good advice huh?" I said with a smirk.

"Not bad Taylor, for being Joe's sister." He laughed with his spark back.

"I mean don't get me wrong, If I won the lottery I would be straight out of this place..." He said with a wishful look on his face.

"Excuse me? Did you just say you'd leave this place, therefore leaving me? What if I have you again next year huh?"

"Taylor, if every student was like you, i'd never leave... but sadly there not. Some, are absolute dickheads - don't tell anyone I said that I could get in major trouble." he said whispering the last part.

"Well thank you Sir, and don't worry i'm a good secret keeper. Seriously though, I would become tougher, making them scared would work." I said with a serious look.

After realising it was five minutes to the end and we'd spent the majority of time flirting, we decided it was time to pack away.

Just as I was walking down the corridor, he shouted my name, grabbing my attention.

"Miss Taylor... I'm not happy with the progress we've made today. I would like you to attend the extra revision tomorrow as well." he said trying to sound serious but laughing, I knew he was just saying it to sound professional.

"Sure Sir." I walked away with a grin on my face.

At least I knew the reason he was down.

———————————————————
Thursday 8th January (2015)
Finally! He came to the classroom door to greet us before we went in. I was so happy I'd cheered him up.

One of the 'bad' students was messing about in the back of the classroom.

"Out Kyle. Now. Get Out!" he shouted, and I mean shouted. It scared the shit out of me so bad I jumped.

Kyle stood up from his seat as he walked out the classroom thinking he was Conor McGregor, slamming the door behind him.

Mr Carter sat back down at his desk opposite me, before peering his head over the computer,

"Well? What that tough enough Miss Taylor?" he asked whilst raising an eyebrow.

"Perfect. I'm not gonna lie though, I sort-of-kind-of jumped out my seat." I whispered.

"Ha! Awe i'm sorry Philippa... you did tell me to though..." he replied with a cheeky grimacing face.

"Nope I'm happy you've done it, it's nice to see a change - like I said just don't shout at me."

"You have my word." he said before walking out the classroom to speak to Kyle.

The both of them walked back in, I watched Kyle slump back in his seat before diverting my gaze to Mr Carter. He winks at me before walking past and helping the girl behind me.

The lesson finished up and Kyle didn't say a word for the remainder of it. Clearly Mr Carter shouting had scared the shit out of him.