Hair Dye

Kenma moved their call to the bathroom, he entered their zoom on his phone so it could be transferable to the bathroom and around the house. Kenma also just wanted to dye the blonde part of his hair, but it would be harder to dye just the ends without leaving any of the blonde and leaving the black part without it looking a little wonky.

"What if I got a perm?" Kenma randomly asks Hinata, and it takes a second before receiving an answer.

"I don't think you should do it all at once. Sure this is the result of a breakdown, but you shouldn't make too many big decisions while you're being impulsive." Hinata explains, actually making a big point.

Kenma nods, "Okay, that's smart." He already mixed the color in a small bowl with the given brush, which looks like a wide paint brush. He starts to part his hair into four sections, he remembers some pointers from watching a video about dyeing hair back when he first bleached his hair with Kuroo.

Hinata tilts his head, it's not surprising he had never seen someone dye their hair, the only thing he's seen someone do anything this big to their hair is Tanaka buzzing his hair off. "What are you doing now?" He asks.

Kenma grunts trying to focus on parting his hair, and then tying it and clipping it into place on his head. "I'm separating it."

Hinata asks another question, "Why do you need to do that?"

Kenma sighs, "So I can get my roots, even though it's black, I should at least try and be thorough with it all." He answers, then finishes off with four knots of hair on his head.

He hears Hinata laugh and he looks down wondering if something funny happened. "You look silly like that."

Kenma sticks out his tongue out at Hinata, "Thank you, I'll look much better once I dye my hair." They both laugh a little. "At least once I'm done Kuroo can't call me a dumb blonde..." silence takes over for a minute, and Kenma freezes to realize what he said. "Sorry.."

Hinata waves it off, "No don't be sorry! I get it, a lot of the happy moments you had in life were with him. It's not surprising to hear you talk about them."

Kenma sighs and nods, trying not to tear up on camera. "Hey Shoyo.." he asks for his attention quietly, he mixes his dye in the small bowl again.

Hinata tilts his head, "What is it?"

Kenma takes a few seconds before answering, "Well.. am I being dramatic? Am I overreacting? I feel like I am. I mean.. me and Kuroo were never actually together anyways.." he asks.

Hinata shakes his head, "No! You're definitely not! It's not youre fault you actually believed a promise he made! That's on him for forgetting."

Kenma starts to apply dye to his roots and hair, "Well maybe I should've flaunted it so he would remember.. or have acted more like a fiance, or just closer than a friend."

Hinata smiles warmly at his Nekoma setter friend, "Maybe so, but he should know you're not that kind of person. You don't like expressing too much."

Kenma looks at Shoyo, his face a little pink in embarrassment, "It's not that I don't like to.. I'm just.. I'm just not good at it.." he mumbled.

Luckily Hinata was able to hear what he said. "Have you thought about trying? I don't wanna sound mean or anything, but you shouldn't expect Kuroo to do all of the work. You should try and sort things out so you can make him happy also!" He gives a smile, a little nervous he said something wrong.

Kenma nods in agreement, "Yeah I agree.. I guess I'm partially to blame.." he takes a breath and sticks his nose into the air, "But I'm still going to blame him to make myself feel better, for now."

The two both laugh. He finishes up with the first section of hair and moves to the second, a little harder because it's in the back of his head.

"Dyeing your hair seems like so much work." Hinata says with an exaggerated exhausted voice.

Kenma nods, painting more dark blue dye onto his bleached hair. "Yeah it kinda is. It's just time consuming. Hopefully the result will be worth it." He adds.

Hinata smiles and nods, "Of course it will! You'll look great!" He pumps his fist into the air, the two of them give a small chuckle.

-about twenty minutes later-

Kenma pushes his fingers through his hair and straightening it all out, "I think I'm done." He tells Hinata.

Hinata claps his hands. "Yay! You look so good! I can't wait for the final result!" He says excitedly. Kenma nods but goes silent, Hinata picks up on this and asks "Are you okay? I thought you'd be happier."

Kenma looks at his screen in surprise to that question. "Oh no, I'm happy. I'm just thinking.. how will other people react to my hair? What do I say if they ask me why I dyed my hair this color, since I hate standing out.."

Hinata thinks then nods, "Well it isn't really their business.. is it? Just say you felt like it, it's hair dye, how far will they press about it?" He explains his thoughts. "You shouldn't worry! If anything, you'll be receiving so many compliments!"

That made Kenma smile, "Thank you Hinata.. I'm sorry for keeping you on call for so long, you could've gotten a lot of practice in right now.."

Hinata shakes his head, "No don't worry about it! I think I pulled my arm a little, it's a little sore so I'm letting it rest so that way I can play hard at school!" He says with a huge smile and pats his forearm.

Kenma runs his hands through his hair again, getting any missed spots. "I think I should be good to rinse."

"Wanna hang up so you can shower?" Hinata suggests.

Kenma thinks for a moment before answering that, "I can just use the sink.. it's fine." It's selfish but he enjoyed Hinata's company, even if it is just over a screen, and wanted to keep it just a little longer.

Hinata nods, "Okay! Gahh I wish I was there at your school when you come in the doors looking all cool!"

Kenma laughs as he dips his head into the sink and used a cup to run water over his hair.