Chapter 25

She's gone. She's dead.

The voice in his head whispered with glee. He looked down at the witch. She was gasping, struggling for every lungful of air, every breathe probably her last.

Come back to your Master.

No. Snape shouted and saw the snake come toward him to attack. His insides were boiling, in that moment he wanted nothing more than to somehow help the witch. He didn't have time. Every passing second could cost her life and so he did the one thing that he had vowed he would never. He raised his wand at the creature crawling toward him and with a green light , the snake fell to the floor. And he rushed to the side of the witch. Not bothering to given even a second's thought to the fact that he had made a promise to himself to never use the Killing curse . It didn't matter at the moment.

"Hermione." He said. "Arresto Momentum." He pointed his wand at her wand and the bleeding slowly stopped.

She croaked trying to say something.

"Don't try to speak." He said trying to pick her in his arms, "I am taking you to St. Mungos." However he couldn't as she grabbed his collar, her eyelids half closed.

"Tear." She said.

"What?" he asked. He couldn't understand what the bloody hell was so important that couldn't wait.

"My bag." Her voice was shaky and weak. "phoenix tears." Her hand was at her waist as she thrust a bag in his hand and understanding hit him. Of course, the one thing that could save her right at this moment was phoenix tears. He had seen her use her bag many times to know that it was magically expanded. With a quick summoning charm , he had a vial in his hand filled with a clear liquid. He poured the liquid on her neck at the wound made by the snake bite.

She closed her eyes and her head was supported on his chest. For a moment he felt she was dead but her heart fell and rose in slow but steady beat. It was a hope for him. the wound healed until there was no opening just blood on her clothes and hair. Once the healing had stopped, he performed a scourgify on her neck to check.

"Hermione?" he checked.

"Its funny." Her eyes still closed. Her breathing labored.

"What's funny?" he asked confused.

"You died like this in my time. I didn't have the phoenix tears back then so it was one of the first thing I got when I came here." She said very slowly taking her time in speaking each word.

"That's why you wouldn't go." He said.

She nodded and after a very long while , Severus Snape hugged someone. He threw his arms around her and hugged her close to his chest.

"Careful Sev," she said, "If I didn't know better I would say you have grown to be fond of me."

He scoffed but kept holding to her.

No one spoke of the attack when they got home. It was an unspoken arrangement. As soon as she was home, He gave her all the potions she had given her the first day. However , she refused to take the Sleeping Draught.

"The moon has set and I want to see when he comes back." She told him.

Lily too woke up from her slumber after a while, she too excited to know about the potion Hermione had brew for Remus.