Chapter 27

It was dark. Not just the blackness but the gloom that spread around them. The looming sense of dread kept them on edge as they all waited for their signal. The Order members stood outside the Malfoy Manor waiting for their signal to get in.

A loud noise disrupted the silence and the order members all disillusioned themselves. They made their way quietly towards the back gate of the manor. The noise was supposed to distract the Death Eaters and had served its purpose as the two death eaters who stood guard on the rear side of the castle rushed to aid their friends in helping against whatever had attacked them. A new order member names Denny who was hiding in the opposite gate to the rest of them had cast the spell where he waited with half of them. By the time their group made it inside the manor, Hermione knew that the others were already in a duel.

Though they were meant to attack and arrest as many death eaters as they can, being THE GOOD GUYS, it was their first responsibility to make sure the prisoners were freed. Hermione led the way to their group which included James, Sirius, Remus and Dorcas. She was the only one who had been inside the Manor, with Sirius having broken his ties from the family before Narcissa was married. Though Hermione wasn't much aware of the rest of the manor, she had a fair idea of where the cells to hold prisoners where from the back door.

"Why do we have to stand guards here? While others have fun." A voice said and Hermione stopped in her track. They were a turn away from them. She motioned them to keep quiet and James cast the Silencio around them.

"Quiet Rowle. I am not here to hear you whining." Another voice said angrily. "I am as much struck as you are." Hermione recognized him as Avery Jr.

"Do you hear it Avery?" Rowle said suddenly. "Something is happening here." His suspicion was evident in his voice.

"Now." She mouthed to her friends. It would be a disadvantage for their side if they joined the others outside. Before anyone could raise their wands, two red stunners hit them and they fell to the cold stone floor below them. Everyone was surprised to see the ever so composed Dorcas twirl her wand in her hand with a smirk.

"What?" she said, "They were in the group that attacked Gideon." Everyone knew that the aforesaid Prewett brother and she were dating. With a flick, Remus tied the two of them and shoved the portkey that was linked to the cells in one of the Order headquarters.

They found no one else in there. It was quiet easy from there to reach to those who had been captured however this made Hermione uneasy and saw that her suspicions were mirrored in all the faces around. It shouldn't have been easy. Even if they had made a great plan, was it possible to actually have nailed their mission. No. Something was wrong. But they were in too deep to turn back now. There were two prison cells and they decided to divide there. Hermione teamed up with Remus and Dorcas while the other two were in the next one.

It was dark inside. "Lumos Maxima." Remus said.

A whimpering sound made them look down. Hermione was more than shocked to see the person infront of her. It was even a shock that she recognized him. He looked so different from when she knew him.

"Do..Don't k-kill me!" He begged with a sob. The huge cut on his arm was visible to her. "I-I" He started but Hermione stopped him pressing a finger to her lips.

"We are here to help you." Dorca said. Inside the room there were three more people and two children who could have been twins but Hermione didn't know. They grouped the people handed them the portkey. With a pop they were gone and the trio was joined by their other friends. It was time for them to join their friends outside.