𝟘𝟚

Hospitals and I never had a good reputation.

And walking through the narrow corridors, trying not to slip on the newly polished floor, while glancing at the multitude of doors did nothing to lessen my unease.

The smell of latex, alcohol, and Clorox overwhelmed my senses and I had to physically stop myself from gagging. Everything was so pristine. So white. White floors. White coats. White walls.

The perfect display to hide the imperfectness of its system.

I tried to avoid looking at anything. At the doctors, people, even the stupid lights. One glance would bring it all up and I needed to keep it all down. Deep down.

A part of me knew I shouldn't have even come. Uncle Bob was getting out tonight anyway. I should've just visited him at his home. It would've been easier.

I told the part to suck it up.

I was just about to turn another right when out of nowhere a whizz of a person smashed into me and sent the both of us toppling down.

I landed on the floor with a thud and felt every bone in the back of my body break. So when the other person landed on top of me and my head went smack against the floor I wasn't surprised at the black dots that sprouted in my vision.

"OH MY GOD, I KILLED HER!"

It was a kid's voice.

I opened my eyes and found myself staring right back at wide blue ones.

"Nevermind," he blinked, "She's alive." He fumbled to get himself off me and managed to gain footing before holding out a scrawny little hand for me to take.

I snorted. He was half my size. How he'd even managed to topple the both of us over I had no idea. Nonetheless, I grabbed his hand and pulled myself up. I hurriedly blinked back the spots in my vision and took a glance at the kid.

He looked about ten. Maybe eleven. And his hair, a dark brown almost verging on black, was cut into an awkward mop cut that he had to keep brushing away from his eyes. He was about the same height as my shoulder and was wearing a startingly neon outfit consisting of a bright pink shirt and lime sports shorts.

"Sorry about that," he winced.

I waved him away. "My fault. I wasn't paying attention. Don't worry."

The kid opened his mouth to respond but before he could a voice behind me called out. "Dylan!" The kid's eyes widened and he moved to hide behind me. "That is the fifth person you've run into today!"

The kid raised his arms. "This time it was her fault!" He pointed at me.

I raised my brow and he gave me a pleading look. So, sighing, I turned around and faced the new voice.

It was a guy. Almost around my age. Shaggy brown hair. Whiskey eyes. They widened for a moment. "Woah—uh—pretty girl—crap."

"Excuse me?"

He cleared his throat, a faint blush blooming on his cheeks. "I'm really sorry about him. We're getting a leash soon.

I was still reeling from what he said but managed to curve my lips into a small smile and speak. "I ran into him. You don't have to apologize." I glanced down at the kid—Dylan who was giving a big toothy smile at the guy. The kind that said: I'm cute so don't punish me.

The guy's gaze left mine and landed with a glare at Dylan. He slowly started to move behind me again. "You don't have to cover up for him."

I stepped aside, revealing Dylan, and gave him an innocent shrug. "Sorry, kid. He's too smart for me."