𝟘𝟡

On Sunday, Nick and I had submitted our project. The grade came back a day later, a gorgeous 95 that I had placed no effort in. After making remarks at Nick for being a nerd, I had made him promise to partner with me for the rest of the year's coming projects.

It was Tuesday now, school had just finished, and I had made my walk home before immediately collapsing onto the sofa. My nightmares were getting worse, like they always did this time of year, and sleep was almost non-existent during the long hours of the night.

I had just closed my eyes for what felt like a minute when the doorbell started ringing like crazy. I jolted out of the couch, fell, and hit my head on the corner of the table, cursing whoever was at the door to hell and back. Sitting up with an audible groan of pain, I winced and placed a hand over the spot my head had hit, rubbing it in soothing circles.

The doorbell was still ringing like a madman on Christmas Eve and I glared the whole way to the entrance of the house. When I reached it, I slammed the door open, ready to murder whoever it was.

Three pairs of eyes met mine, but my eyes immediately went to the hand that was just a millimeter away from the doorbell. Tracing up the length of its arm, I let my gaze meet that of the culprits. Alex.

My voice was a whisper, "run."

And then I lunged.

I tackled him to the floor, causing us to tumble down the concrete stairs before landing on the grass with a thud; Alex frightened under me. He pushed me off and tried to get up to run but I grabbed one of his ankles and pulled him back down again.

"Get off me you madwoman!" He yelled and tried to hold on to the grass, which kept ripping under his hand, as I kept my hold on his ankle and pulled. He tried to get up and crawl towards Delilah, who was a laughing mess, and Nick, who looked even more afraid than Alex.

"No!" I yelled back, getting dragged through the grass as Alex found his footing, my grip on his ankle steel. "I was sleeping asshole!"

He was swinging his left leg around frantically, trying to release my hold on him, but I held on tightly. I pulled as strong as I could and he fell with another frantic yell. I quickly let go of his ankle and got up, raising my hand into a fist to go down and punch him.

However before I could, someone grabbed my fist and pulled me back. Alex scrambled away, trying to dust his clothes off; I think he was shaking.

"Let go of me!" I pulled against the grip, ripping my hand free, and swirling towards Nick. "Fuck you. I had him pinned!"

Nick rolled his eyes. I kicked his leg, hard.

"Shit," he grunted.

I ignored him and glared over at Delilah and Alex. "What the fuck are all you fucks doing here! Is annoying me at school, not enough?"

I had no doubt I looked like a lunatic right now. Due to the unorthodox wake-up call, my hair was a tangled mess, my clothes rumpled, and my whole body littered with grass.

"We wanted to surprise you," Delilah says helping pick off the grass off of Alex. "But then the door was locked."

I scowl, "I would hope so. I don't want any serial killers in my house while I take a nap."

Delilah gives me a deadpan look, "just go get dressed."

I look down at my dirty grass-covered clothes. "I am."

She looks me over up and down, "you wanna go out looking like that?"

"I don't even want to go out," I roll my eyes. "Now excuse me, I have a nap to finish." I push past Nick and stomp up the stairs extending my hand to wrench the door open.