Chapter 28

You've been dressing up the truth
I've been dressing up for you
Then you leave me in this room, this room
Pour a glass and bite my tongue
You say I'm the only one
If it's true, then why you running, you running?
I got darkness in my head
Don't believe a word you said
Still I let you in my bed, my bed (yeah)
Got too many different sides
Got designer in your eyes
Something has to change tonight, tonight, tonight

****

Allegra

I was never a damsel in distress, I never suffered from love, I never experienced real heartbreak. My whole life was easy, fun. Nothing major ever happened.

I fell in and out of love with my teenage sweetheart and we managed to stay friends. I have a good relationship with my parents and they have always been good to me, never making me miss anything. I have wonderful friends and the job of my dreams. I still have all my grandparents, I never lost an animal.

My life has always been simple, easy, basic, until this moment.

I've been dreading coming here, I've been fearing the moment I would have looked into his eyes and read the truth behind them.

I wish I could say the fact he is married is the worst part of the story but it isn't. I feel like karma wanted to be even with me since I had such a normal life, maybe it felt like I had to restore some astral equilibrium with the universe.  Bad things can't always happen to other people, right? It was my turn and I can't do anything if not take the hit.

I didn't believe her, I called Chris the moment she left my office and sadly, he confirmed everything she said, making my heart sink even more, and the only thing I was left to do at that point, was step out of my office, say goodbye to Claire that was looking at me with worried eyes and come all the way here to face him.

What I wasn't expecting was for me to keep my cool, besides the throwing up incident, I managed to keep my cool and act like what she was telling me wasn't effecting me and the reality of things is, I really felt like it.

I feel it's because of shock. My mind is still too clouded with all the informations she threw in my face to actually understand what really happened. I still need to realize it and I know the moment I will, it will hurt like hell, probably even more.

Two hours before.

Remember all the times I joked about Harry being a bad kid being an idea worthy of a book or a movie? Well, maybe I shouldn't have joked about it that freely, because I have the feeling, from the look in Caroline's eyes, Harry is the villain, playing the good guy right under my eyes without me even noticing, even though all the signs were there like red flags waving in front of me and I just brushed them off, moving on my path without minding them.

"What did Harry tell you about his past?" she asks me, now sipping from the glass Claire bought in a few minutes ago.

"Pretty much nothing," I reply right away, deciding it's best to be truthful, at this point, I believe everything he said to me it's a lie.

"So you don't know he went to jail three times and that the reason he came back here? He lost his green card." She says like it's not something that will give a stroke.

Three times?

Again, the questions in my head are so much I can't come with something to say, and I guess this how this conversation will go. She throwing information in my way like they are nothing and me trying to proceed them without succeeding.