Time to Meet the Rebel Patrol

It hurt Valda when Carrick continued to ignore her as they packed up their things. To distract her from his disapproving looks, she played with Pandath and the other baby dragons, letting them launch off her arms and head.

Packing didn't take long, and before she knew it they were ready.

She said goodbye to her new friends, promising to return, before going to join the others. Carrick only became more removed as they prepared to leave, his eyes unseeing as Nandrin explained what they were doing.

Mauve moved to whisper a few words in his ear, and whatever she said seemed to work. His body relaxed just a fraction, though his knuckles were still white with how tight he clenched his hands.

Valda clambered between two spikes on Nandrin's back, and Tevin pulled himself up a few seconds later. Mauve and Carrick would ride a green dragon named Gadiar, the only other one who felt comfortable flying with two humans on his back.

Riding a dragon was just as exhilarating as Valda and the others had imagined, although terrifying at the same time. Sensing her and Tevin's enjoyment, Nandrin dived in and out of the clouds, making them squeal with laughter.

"Look!" Tevin shouted, pointing down beneath them.

Valda craned her neck as Nandrin flew lower. She peered in the direction Tevin was pointing at and gasped.

Nestled between the two mountains, the rebel's base sat tall and imposing. The mountain's naturally steep sides protected it on three sides, and a thirty foot wooden fence enclosed the fourth.

From their vantage point, Valda could make out various buildings inside the fence, with more spaces carved from the rock face. It was its own tiny village.

"It is better for us to drop you and your companions out of sight. Fae get a little agitated when they see fully grown dragons bearing down on them." Nandrin's mental voice was smug as he banked left, Gadiar copying his move behind.

Landing was jarring, but smoother than Valda had been expecting. They all dismantled quickly, being careful not to snag their clothes on the dragons' scales.

"Thank you, Nandrin and Gadiar." The dragons placed their heads close to hers so she could rest her forehead against them in farewell.

"No. Thank you, Valda, one of the legendary Healers and future ruler of Lania. We are forever in your debt." Nandrin and Gadiar bowed to her once before throwing themselves into the sky, quickly becoming tiny specks as they disappeared.

Valda turned to inspect Mauve and Carrick and felt a moment of panic.

Carrick was slumped on the floor with Mauve trying to grip his arms. Immediately, she and Tevin ran to help.

"What happened? Is he okay?" Tevin was first to ask, gripping Carrick's body.

"He'll be fine soon. He's a little scared of heights," Mauve explained.

"So high. It was so high," Carrick murmured before giggling to himself.

"On second thought, better give him a few minutes."

Valda and Tevin shared a look, they'd never seen Carrick so out of it. With his free hand, Tevin removed a water bottle from his pack and held it in front of Carrick's lips.

"Here, big guy. Take a sip of this." He popped the cap and pressed it to his friend's lips, watching as the water trickled out.

For the first few tries Carrick didn't move, but after a few seconds he seemed to understand what was happening and drank heavily.